General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Tue 03-Sep-13 22:13:43
Print Post

Is this normal?

[link to this post]

I have recently upgraded to FTTC with Talktalk as we have a busy household who use iplayer and the other on demand players regularly. We assumed that with fibre we would get rid of our freezing and pauses will watching programs. Unfortunately it hasn't. It has helped in that we can watch several things at the same time, but we still get pauses and iplayer saying we have insufficient band width, often 3 or 4 times in an hour long program.
I am assuming that this isn't normal?
Is it likely to be a talktalk problem, a wiring problem or something else? Talktalk customer services aren't much help and I am thinking of moving to another provider.
The problem happens while connect via the ethernet cable as well as the wifi, tried a new router as well but hasn't helped.

Any helpful suggestions?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Sep-13 07:06:41
Print Post

Re: Is this normal?

[re: woodulike] [link to this post]

Do large file downloads show similar pauses? Do pings show drop outs?

How is fttc modem connected? Test at master socket and the test socket http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Wed 04-Sep-13 20:45:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodulike:
we still get pauses and iplayer saying we have insufficient band width, often 3 or 4 times in an hour long program

Are you watching iPlayer on a TV? TT customers have previously reported difficulties with LG TVs. If so do you get the same problems watching the same programme on iPlayer via a computer?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 22:03:00
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

Hi, the tv that works the best is an LG, it pauses less than the rest and the Sony is the worst for us. Watching programs on the computer gives the same problems.
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 22:06:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't download large files very often, so not really sure. Never tried ping tests, sorry a bit ignorant about what to do and what I would even be looking for. I have just connected via the test socket and will see if that helps.

Update.
Just tried to watch a program on iplayer using the computer while connected via the test socket and within 15 minutes I have a message up saying insufficient bandwidth.

I have just run a ping test on pingtest.net, and it is coming up 0% packet loss, 10ms and jitter at 1 once and 0 once, ran twice.

Speed test on thinkbroadband site is about 36 Mbps average.

Edited by woodulike (Wed 04-Sep-13 22:34:08)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 05-Sep-13 00:38:10
Print Post

Try it again via wired as these kinds of issues are normally down to WiFI in my experience. I have found in my household where the WiFI can get 30Mbps one minute, the next it's not even getting 0.2Mbps and is struggling to hang onto the connection. Hence streams will act up. TVs are notoriously bad with WiFi.

It's also possible that the modem is dropping connection intermittently so there's no connection for some time, even just a couple of seconds. That could be enough.

As an alternative the TalkTalk routers are pretty poor, it honestly could be down to the ISP though having bad peering. Virginmedia sees this a fair bit - e.g. people on 120Mbps can struggle to watch YouTube!!

The one and only solution if that is the case is to switch providers.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 05-Sep-13 00:39:44)

Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:23:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I'd put money on it being poor wifi.

I've no idea how good or bad the TT Router is, but how far away is it from your TV?

Are all your devices connected to it 802.11n?

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17
Standard User woodulike
(newbie) Thu 05-Sep-13 19:16:05
Print Post

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, I know the wifi doesn't help, but it does it connected with the ethernet cable as well. One of the tv's doesn't have wifi and it is the same. I bought a western digital wireless router that is supposed to help prioritise video streaming etc. to check it wasn't just the router and it is hasn't improved things.
I am looking at changing providers but don't want to sign up to an 18 months contract and then find that's not the problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to