General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jacobsdad
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 10:31:26
Print Post

Static WAN IP for Sky/BT

[link to this post]

I have 5 personal websites hosted on my own server. I had been a Virgin Media customer previously which didn't require a static IP address as it changed so very rarely that I could update the DNS settings when it did (at one point it didn't change for 10 months).

I'm now with Sky Fibre (BT) and I understand the WAN IP address will change much more frequently. What I require is a service which provides me with a static IP address and then points this to my current WAN IP address. When the WAN changes, this is detected by software on my server and then the static IP address is updated.

I have looked at No-ip but I can't find the product I need to do this with. Can anyone advise me on what I need or if there is another (better or cheaper) service?

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Sep-13 10:42:36
Print Post

Re: Static WAN IP for Sky/BT

[re: jacobsdad] [link to this post]

Your description of a static IP address is a little odd, but I get the gist.

Sky do not do static Ip addresses, though are said to be going to be offering it to ex-Be customers in the near future, but don't hold your breath.

BT Residential (Infinity) do not do static IP address.

if you want a static IP then maybe PlusNet (paid option I believe) or more business like providers like IDNet, Zen etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Wed 04-Sep-13 10:45:18
Print Post

PlusNet charge a one off fee of £5 for a static IP address.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jacobsdad
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 11:23:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. I realise that they don't offer a static IP address for a WAN IP. I can't change to PLusnet as I've only just joined Sky.

Is there a service which you can "rent" and IP address and forward it to your own?
Standard User Splash1
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 11:27:33
Print Post

The IP address doesn't change easily on Sky 'Fibre' so it's not much work managing DNS records. I think the DHCP lease expires after 1800 seconds (30 minutes), i.e., you would need to leave your router disconnected from the modem for 30 minutes from when you received an IP address to receive a different IP address. The only other way is to change the MAC address of the WAN interface to make it lease you a new IP address.

Edited by Splash1 (Wed 04-Sep-13 11:49:03)

Standard User jacobsdad
(newbie) Wed 04-Sep-13 11:38:14
Print Post

[re: Splash1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Splash1:
The IP address doesn't change easily on Sky 'Fibre' so it's not much work managing DNS records. I think the DHCP lease expires after 1800 seconds (30 minutes), i.e., you would need to leave your router disconnected from the modem for 30 minutes to receive a different IP address. The only other way is to change the MAC address of the WAN interface to make it lease you a new IP address.

That's good to know. In that case I give it a chance with the assigned IP address and see how I get on.
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Wed 04-Sep-13 11:42:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by jacobsdad:
Thanks. I realise that they don't offer a static IP address for a WAN IP. I can't change to PLusnet as I've only just joined Sky.

Is there a service which you can "rent" and IP address and forward it to your own?

Have you ever tried dyndns?

Look it up. You can keep your dynamic addresses as it relies on a name rather than an IP.

Cheers C
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 04-Sep-13 12:29:29
Print Post

In short no.

There are dynamic dns type services that work so that your dynamic IP address should always be findable via a domain name.

An IP tunnel (VPN) service could possibly achieve what you want, but to be reliable would require a business grade VPN router at your end.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Wed 04-Sep-13 17:56:55
Print Post

[re: Splash1] [link to this post]

The lease time is 60 mins although the way DHCP works it starts requesting lease renewal after 30 mins.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Wed 04-Sep-13 17:59:44
Print Post

My Sky IP address hasn't changed for about 5 or 6 months now although I still use DynDNS just in case.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to