General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jutsenberg
(learned) Fri 06-Sep-13 17:09:52
Print Post

Exeter exchange but no cabinet. What does this mean for me?

[link to this post]

Just been told that I cant get fibre as I am plugged directly into the Exeter (EX4) exchange (see openreach email below).

I am not a tech expert but I am hoping that this doesnt mean that i will NEVER get FO, merely that until my exchange is made commercially viable, I will have to wait. is that correct?
thanks for any help / advice.
============

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband, you are connected directly to the exchange and not via a telephony cabinet located in the street, this is referred to as an E/O line.
Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each exchange and in turn, how broadband is delivered from the exchange. Unfortunately, as your line is fed directly from the exchange it fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the solution to deploy Fibre Broadband to lines connected this way would not provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs.
Government funding is available to county and borough councils to assist in the upgrade of lines that are connected directly to the exchange. It would be worth contacting them to enquire if they have discussed funding with BDUK to help upgrade lines such as yours. http://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/
You can also register your interest for upgrade via the following link http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/expression-...
Please note, the telephony network over which fibre broadband is bespoke, as such, all premise are served from dedicated distribution points which are connected via their own underground duct network either directly to the exchange or to telephony cabinets. There are no interconnections that can be utilised to give fibre broadband services between E/O lines and cabinets, therefore, Iím afraid we technically canít move your service to a cabinet. In addition, it is not Openreach policy to rearrange the network to enable services where they are not currently available, which is what would occur if your service was moved.

If you have any further questions, please ensure you have read the FAQ's on our website, http://www.openreachfibrebroadband.co.uk/faq/ . If your question is answered within the FAQ section, we will not respond to your e-mail.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 06-Sep-13 17:27:58
Print Post

Re: Exeter exchange but no cabinet. What does this mean for

[re: jutsenberg] [link to this post]

Now it depends on the council and how close to 100% coverage for fibre based broadband they want to go.

Issue is not technical it is who pays for it all. The bigger the number with EO in your street the better

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jutsenberg
(learned) Fri 06-Sep-13 17:29:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. Apparently council aims to have 90% fibre coverage by 2016...so..guess it's wait time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User celad2001
(newbie) Fri 06-Sep-13 17:43:48
Print Post

[re: jutsenberg] [link to this post]

i assume in ex4 you are in a virgin cable area.?? check out that option, i do not think you can expect to be one of the 90% .
  Print Thread

Jump to