General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sjdean
(regular) Sat 07-Sep-13 11:03:07
Print Post

FTTC Birmingham - CMSPR (Springfield/Hall Green)

[link to this post]

I see that this Exchange was enabled a couple of weeks ago and there was much anticipation from my end. So far though, only three cabinets remain enabled.

All the cabinets (as far as I know) are installed and waiting to be connected. They've been connected to power, hardware in, it is just waiting on the fibre to be put through.

But still only three cabinets? And they don't appear to be random cabinets either, they appear to be cabinets on a straight line as if they're running a trial to begin with.

I simply don't understand why we're not seeing more cabinets coming online. They've gone to the trouble of installing the cabinets, so why aren't they hooking them up to the fibre? Why am I not seeing anyone trying to hook them up to the fibre?

Grr

Simon
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 07-Sep-13 11:18:10
Print Post

Re: FTTC Birmingham - CMSPR (Springfield/Hall Green)

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

Looks like multiple delays but most due to duct blockages which require street works notices.
Standard User sjdean
(regular) Sat 07-Sep-13 11:27:11
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Of which RoadWorks.org reports nothing, not even when they were digging up the streets to put the cabinets in in the first place.

There was one cabinet installed on Highfield Road, a couple of weeks later, they had dug it up again and obviously doing something with the ducts there.

It's possible that they're working somewhere Im not seeing, but I've been roaming around everywhere quite a bit over the past month waiting for fibre, and I've not seen any work anywhere else.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Sep-13 20:52:05
Print Post

same in sheldon

been told around October time

KRO BCFC smile

BQM
Standard User sjdean
(regular) Mon 09-Sep-13 08:41:55
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

The DSL Checker for CMSPR suggests all cabinets will be live by 30th September 2013. Im guessing this will be pushed back.

The main thing for me, as the Exchange is enabled, why Im not seeing more work elsehwhere? Why is this?

All the FTTC Cabinets are physically installed. They've connected and powered three cabinets and no more. I would have thought the installs and activations would have been on a rolling basis and we'd see maybe two or three a week being activated, and I'd see the BT vans (or the installers) out and about across the area installing more fibre and activating more cabinets. But Im not. No ones doing anything. It's bizarre.

As I said, it's like they've activated the three and then given up. Why would that be? Are they trial units to get the stats in place to say that they have x number FTTC boxes and x number of exchanges enabled? Do they just enable a certain number to test the stability before rolling out the rest?

I do not get this at all. Any explanations for this? Why wouldn't they enable all FTTC cabinets at the same time/do a rolling install?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 09-Sep-13 09:05:49
Print Post

They haven't given up, duct blockages need to be cleared to get the fibre to more cabinets. Street works notice are required and they will likely be progressed when contractors are able to do the necessary roadworks.
I suspect more than 3 cabinets are complete

Edited by Ribble (Mon 09-Sep-13 09:17:11)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-Sep-13 10:14:39
Print Post

When our area was done we had a whole area which had cabs installed, but none started going live when others did, in fact it was many months later when they all went live. There had been collapsed ducts on a very busy road, and they could not carry out the required road works until half term when traffic was reduced. Also the works were delayed because of the Olympic torch was to pass along that road.

Standard User sjdean
(regular) Mon 09-Sep-13 10:52:26
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Ok, I've found 28 cabinets, of which 9 are not scheduled to be upgraded, 5 have been upgraded, and 14 waiting. So far Im missing a possible 5 off my list

Im aware blockages need to be sorted, but Im perplexed why Im not seeing this work in action and no notices on roadworks.org....
Standard User kebabselector
(newbie) Mon 09-Sep-13 11:22:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by sjdean:
Ok, I've found 28 cabinets, of which 9 are not scheduled to be upgraded, 5 have been upgraded, and 14 waiting. So far Im missing a possible 5 off my list

Im aware blockages need to be sorted, but Im perplexed why Im not seeing this work in action and no notices on roadworks.org....

Could it be that Birmingham City Council don't offer the GIS information for streetworks?

Current on Zen, getting around 5mb.
Exchange is Fibre enabled, street cab not economically viable to upgrade.
Could get V*rgin, but I'd rather not.
  Print Thread

Jump to