General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User binary
(regular) Mon 09-Sep-13 11:47:15
Print Post

New FTTC install - will the old BT socket be replaced?

[link to this post]

Hello, I'm looking at getting an FTTC broadband service installed. I was just wondering what happens if the current BT socket is of the old design - i.e. it's not an NTE5 linebox, rather it's an old style socket (with an extension illegitimately hard wired in!).

Will the BT Openreach engineer replace the old socket with an NTE5 linebox as part of the installation process?

Edited by binary (Mon 09-Sep-13 12:09:19)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 09-Sep-13 11:55:45
Print Post

Re: New FTTC install - will the old BT socket be replaced?

[re: binary] [link to this post]

Yes, he should replace it.

He will also wire the extension to the new front plate to ensure it is filtered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User electro
(regular) Tue 10-Sep-13 00:50:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

This creates an interesting problem then, my mate is having his FTTC service installed next week, but his master socket is at the bottom of his stairs, yards from any mains socket, but he does have a hardwired extension to the livingroom where the current ADSL router is.

Does the VDSL modem have to be strictly connected to the master or is a slave socket connection an option?

Luckily for me I won't have this problem... as I can't get it!

Cheers smile

2Mbps ADSL2+ - and no sign of a FTTC/cabinet upgrade due to "commercial viability". Want faster broadband? Move house.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bin216
(newbie) Tue 10-Sep-13 06:40:23
Print Post

[re: electro] [link to this post]

The engineer can wire an extension for the broadband, up to 30 meters. I just had an installation yesterday, and Sky mentioned this on the phone when I was booking it.

It is included in the standard install if required, but in my experience, the engineer won't mention it if he can possibly get away with a bog standard install direct from the faceplate (5 minutes onsite vs at least 30 minutes and messing with installing cable, I know which I would choose).

Ask him nicely, offer him tea and biscuits; but ultimately just plain tell him that he needs to do it, and that the sales person you spoke to when you ordered your FTTC said he would.

If you look at this image (thanks google) you can see that there is a point in the FTTC face plate for hardwiring a FTTC extension rather than use the socket in the faceplate itself.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Sep-13 19:20:39
Print Post

[re: Bin216] [link to this post]

It does need to be ordered though, even though it is free. The engineer will not install one if it isn't on the job sheet. Not all ISPs prompt the customer as Sky seem to have done you.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User electro
(regular) Tue 10-Sep-13 20:14:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oh dear, that's going to be a problem then because they didn't discuss that with Sky when they ordered frown Problems ahoy!
Cheers for the info folks smile

2Mbps ADSL2+ - and no sign of a FTTC/cabinet upgrade due to "commercial viability". Want faster broadband? Move house.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Sep-13 21:51:04
Print Post

[re: electro] [link to this post]

It's possible Sky order it automatically, in case it is needed. BT Retail do. But as the other person was asked, maybe they don't. A phone call to them might be a good idea. Its called the Home Wiring Solution, previously called a Data Extension Cable. ISP support tend to call it by the old name.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Sep-13 21:55:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's possible Sky order it automatically

It ain't so Bob, some ISP's order it automatically, Sky don't seem to be one of them.

Print Thread

Jump to