General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User realplanty
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 12:14:59
Print Post

Where is my cabinet?

[link to this post]

apologies if the subject seems a bit noobish but I've done some digging and come up blank.

I know I'm connected to a cabinet 84, but my nearest cab on the street is 41. in fact all the streets around seem to be connected to 41.

Couple of questions:
I there anyway to find cabinet 84 (other than walk which I've done a lot of)?
Why would our street not be connected to the same as surrounding areas?

Exchange connected to is Wakefield,
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Sep-13 12:55:18
Print Post

Re: Where is my cabinet?

[re: realplanty] [link to this post]

Google maps and streetview

if the cabinet has a live fibre twin then you can use the speed estimate to narrow the search area, by only looking in the area where the fastest speed estimates are given.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User realplanty
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 13:34:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've googled and walked and can't find 84. Wakefield is due FTTC in Dec and am scouting for the cab to see if there's an FTTC one nearby.

Two things I can think of:
1) We've got some odd connection from our street to a cab a long way away and different to all surrounding streets.
2) Our street has already been moved to the new FTTC box next to it (the new box being 84). Is this even technically feasible to be connected to an FTTC cab but still be on adsl? i'm guessing not.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 16-Sep-13 13:54:15
Print Post

http://goo.gl/maps/HniYI
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Sep-13 14:52:54
Print Post

With FTTC your physical line stays connected to your existing phone cabinet. The fibre goes between the/an exchange and the FTTC cabinet, and the two cabinets are linked by copper. (Your FTTC supply doesn't necessarily originate at your phone exchange).

Inside the FTTC cabinet the phone and fibre signals are merged and sent back to the phone cabinet to get to and from you. Outgoing from you, the signals are demerged inside the FTTC cabinet, with the fibre signal going back up the fibre and the phone signal back to your phone cabinet and on to the exchange.

At the time you get FTTC installed, the engineer patches the home and exchange parts of your phone line to the FTTC link. Which also means you can no longer get ADSLx until that patching is removed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User realplanty
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 15:28:52
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

many thanks all, that all makes much more sense now.

and thanks Ribble, how on earth did you find 84 smile more to the point how does BT determine cab connection, 41 is much more logical being on the main road at the bottom of the street. whereas this 84 we are connected to is a couple of streets behind off a road round the corner!! still explains my pants adsl as its further from the exchange
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Sep-13 15:46:17
Print Post

What is logical now may not have been the case years ago, or the other cabinet had no space for more lines at one time etc

In the past line length was never much of an issue.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User realplanty
(newbie) Mon 16-Sep-13 18:44:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Took a walk down tonight and there's no FTTC cabinet nearby frown

I'm hoping that its still on the todo list for BT and not that it's never going to get done. Wakefield listed for FTTC from Dec, just my luck if that after all this time the nearby cab 41 gets fibre and I'm left waiting as cab 84 is deemed to be non viable or something!!
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Sep-13 00:40:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by realplanty:
Took a walk down tonight and there's no FTTC cabinet nearby frown

I'm hoping that its still on the todo list for BT and not that it's never going to get done. Wakefield listed for FTTC from Dec, just my luck if that after all this time the nearby cab 41 gets fibre and I'm left waiting as cab 84 is deemed to be non viable or something!!

U won't get any cabinet yet until there is a fibre optic layed under road or footpath, then when it done, BT had to order cabinet box next, then the power to hook it up.

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg
Standard User sjdean
(regular) Tue 17-Sep-13 08:05:51
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
U won't get any cabinet yet until there is a fibre optic layed under road or footpath, then when it done, BT had to order cabinet box next, then the power to hook it up.

Now you see, I don't know why people keep giving the exact order of things. I've even seen people say that they put the boxes down, then dig up the roads to connect to the power.

They do it a number of different ways, and round our way, they dug the trenches to the power and to the nearest BT hole in the ground while laying a concrete base for the cab. They put the trunking in, connecting the power, put the box on top and filled everything up.

We're now waiting for the fibre to be laid.

So many different ways of doing the install. You said, Fibre, Cabinet, Power. For us, it is Power, Cabinet, Fibre! And for many others it is Cabinet, Power, Fibre.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to