General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikeysoft
(newbie) Wed 18-Sep-13 00:44:41
Print Post

upstream vs distance

[link to this post]

Can find lots of graphs / tables for downstream vs distance, but no data for upstream vs distance.

The BTW checker is estimating 57 / 20 for my line (cabinet went live on the checker today). Can I really expect to get the full 20 (19.0-19.5 actual) given my estimated downstream (I'm in the region of ~300M from the cabinet, as the cables lie).

My local primary school is right beside 'my' fibre cabinet and the BTW checker estimates 76 / 20 for their line. I was surprised to see the same upstream estimate for both lines, given the 300M difference in distance from the cabinet (reflected in the downstream difference of 20Mbps).

I'd like to understand the relationship between upstream and distance, at what distance does the upstream start to drop-off., in comparison to the downstream.

Is upstream artificially capped at very short distances, hence why at distances like 300M 20Mbps is still possible?

Cheers

Edited by mikeysoft (Wed 18-Sep-13 10:18:20)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Sep-13 01:21:03
Print Post

Re: upstream vs distance

[re: mikeysoft] [link to this post]

Basically, yes 20Mbps is possible at 300m - my line is around 450m and I get a Max Attainable of about 26Mbps which is capped to 19999kbps and a throughput of around 18.5Mbps.

ADSL positioned Up and the low end of the spectrum whereas with VDSL there is a band of Up, then Down, Up, Down, Up, Down so both are gradually affected as distances increase

On a typical line that is capped at 80/20 you will see down starting to drop off around 150 to 200 metres and upstream will start to drop below 20 at maybe 500 to 600m - there are to many variables to give a specific point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Sep-13 03:05:57
Print Post

Yep definitely possible, the estimates are normally pretty good. You usually sync higher at first (usually 10 or so Mbps higher) and when crosstalk kicks in it ends up around the estimate I've found.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Sep-13 06:43:14
Print Post

That'll rock a twenty meg upstream, no probs what so ever.

Standard User w0067814
(newbie) Wed 18-Sep-13 09:00:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I'm about 470m as the cable lies, and the quoted rates are 37.9 Down and 6.1Mb up. I'm happy with the down, though I was hoping for a little more on the up. Do you think I'm likely to see it at 470m, or does the speed start dropping off quite quickly after 300m?
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Sep-13 09:04:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by mikeysoft:
Can I really expect to get the full 20 (19.0-19.5 actual) given my estimated downstream (I'm in the region of ~300M from the cabinet, as the cables lie).
Yes...and no smile

The simple answer: You're going to get the full speed upstream.

More complex answer: I don't think anyone ever gets 19/19.5. The best I've come across (me, lol) is 18.6. Even then I only got that after I'd hacked my Openreach modem and turned off the QoS feature. A standard installation doesn't normally give better than 17 up as far as I know.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13787...

..and hats off to IDNet for that. Half past seven in the evening and running flat out.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 18-Sep-13 09:07:38)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Sep-13 09:16:39
Print Post

[re: w0067814] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by w0067814:
I'm about 470m as the cable lies, and the quoted rates are 37.9 Down and 6.1Mb up. I'm happy with the down, though I was hoping for a little more on the up. Do you think I'm likely to see it at 470m, or does the speed start dropping off quite quickly after 300m?

6.1Mbps is VERY low.

M H C

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 18-Sep-13 09:21:02
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:
More complex answer: I don't think anyone ever gets 19/19.5. The best I've come across (me, lol) is 18.6. Even then I only got that after I'd hacked my Openreach modem and turned off the QoS feature. A standard installation doesn't normally give better than 17 up as far as I know.

I have plenty of results on a standard install with an unhacked modem giving 18.5Mbps and above

18.5Mbps

18.5Mbps

18.7Mbps

18.7Mbps

M H C

Edited by MHC (Wed 18-Sep-13 09:24:45)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Sep-13 09:22:00
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/05/so-how-fast-a...

The graph hides some of the data due to averaging, but raw numbers 10% faster than 18.4 Mbps on the upload

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mikeysoft
(newbie) Wed 18-Sep-13 10:16:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/05/so-how-fast-a...

The graph hides some of the data due to averaging, but raw numbers 10% faster than 18.4 Mbps on the upload

Have Openreach ever published an idealised 'upload vs distance' graph / table?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to