General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TheVin
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 10:04:16
Print Post

Am I fibre ready?

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I live in a relatively new apartment which is approximately 12 years old.

There's a good wiring system installed, all of which is original & therefore behind walls/partitions & sits within flush wall sockets.

My master phone socket is in a cupboard with no power sockets available in this location. I have phone sockets (therefore I assume these to all be extensions - as they don't have a split fronted fascia?) available in all rooms. My current standard EE broadband router is connected to one of the phone sockets in the living room.

I am considering the move to fibre. My main concern is whether I need an Engineer's visit? Or can I just take delivery of a new router, plug it into the socket in the living room & away I go at super fast speeds?

It's a rented property so I can't have trailing wires, plus I don't really want to have to pay for an Engineer to install new cabling if the existing infrastructure isn't fibre capable.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone on here can advise on what I might need to look for before contacting the likes of BT/Sky/EE/etc...? Such as checking behind socket fascias & the like.

Also advice on best fibre providers. My current phone line rental is with BT. My standard broadband is with EE. I have a Sky HD subscription. My mobile is with EE (3G). So maybe bundling all together might be a good plan?

Thanks, The Vin.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Sep-13 10:34:29
Print Post

Re: Am I fibre ready?

[re: TheVin] [link to this post]

If you order a FTTC based service, then at present there is no choice you will get an engineer visit.

What they fit is this faceplate http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ and if you want the FTTC in another room they run an extension from the faceplate.

You could wait a few months and when wires only installs comes out you could do exactly what you want, but it might be at the expense of speed and stability as extension wiring can affect FTTC a lot.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Mon 23-Sep-13 13:34:33
Print Post

Have you checked to see if any flavour of fibre is actually available to you?
See www.dslchecker.bt.com/

It may well be that you can get FTTP instead of FTTC, in which case the installation will be completely different.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheVin
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 13:49:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, looking like too much hassle then. If I owned the property I'd perhaps consider it.
Standard User TheVin
(newbie) Mon 23-Sep-13 13:52:50
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

WBC FTTC "Up to 66.9 downstream" is all listed at fibre speeds. Thanks for the pointer on this.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 23-Sep-13 14:26:52
Print Post

What hassle? The new faceplate will be useable even w/out fibre, or even w/out BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Sep-13 21:35:40
Print Post

A more 'do-able' solution, if the NTE in the cupboard isn't used, would be to make sure you ask your chosen FTTC provider for a 'Home Wiring Solution'. The installer will bypass the existing NTE and make it the next socket along the run, possibly further than that. Simple.

Standard User bet_here
(learned) Mon 23-Sep-13 22:38:02
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Not all providers will order the Home Wiring Solution. PlusNet told me this week that they cannot provide this, and any NTE shift or re-arangement would have to be ordered separately, after they had taken over the phone line.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Sep-13 22:42:13
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bet_here:
Not all providers will order the Home Wiring Solution. PlusNet told me this week that they cannot provide this, and any NTE shift or re-arangement would have to be ordered separately, after they had taken over the phone line.
That's rot. I'll raise an alert to your post on the Community forums.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 24-Sep-13 08:51:39
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Hi there, really sorry you were told that - it's completely untrue. The extension kit is selectable when going through the order process on our website, or can be requested if our service is ordered over the phone, for no extra cost.

If you could advise who told you this and when I'll look into who it might have been and make sure they're aware of what's available. Please drop me a PM with the details if you're willing, thanks.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support

Edited by orbrey (Tue 24-Sep-13 08:55:01)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to