General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Opabinia
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 13:16:10
Print Post

So I bought and unlocked my HG 612, what next?

[link to this post]

As the title covers I bought it and unlocked it. My speed has dropped to 25-26Mbs although via telnet commands in the tutorial pdf the line supposedly supports 32Mbs.

I have the suite of logging tools but I don't really know where to go next. I don't know why the speed has dropped I did reattach the ECI modem for a while to see if that made a difference but it didn't appear to.

Can someone help point me in the right direction? I have recorded some stats but I am not entirely sure what to do with the information or how to read it correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 26-Sep-13 15:27:51
Print Post

Re: So I bought and unlocked my HG 612, what next?

[re: Opabinia] [link to this post]

run this in telnet and paste back the results.

xdslcmd info --show

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User Opabinia
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 18:21:52
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

No problem Thank you for replying.

# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 6310 Kbps, Downstream rate = 32820 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 6204 Kbps, Downstream rate = 27887 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.3 6.1
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 11.6 3.8
VDSL2 framing
Path 0
B: 63 194
M: 1 1
T: 64 5
R: 16 16
S: 0.0730 0.9988
L: 8766 1690
D: 443 1
I: 80 211
N: 80 211
Counters
Path 0
OHF: 6048082 277379
OHFErr: 14 45
RS: 1161231486 3597618
RSCorr: 153338 102
RSUnCorr: 327 0

Path 0
HEC: 67 0
OCD: 0 0
LCD: 0 0
Total Cells: 1139829238 0
Data Cells: 3016669 0
Drop Cells: 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 5 45
SES: 0 0
UAS: 18 18
AS: 21279

Path 0
INP: 3.00 0.00
PER: 3.50 16.23
delay: 8.00 0.00
OR: 54.78 19.22

Bitswap: 8052 0

Hope this gives you more insight than me.

Btw. Why does the TB Speed Test report speeds of UL 5.26 DL25.83 Latency 29ms? This seems to differ from the results above.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtestresults.html?... ----> latest test

Thanks for helping.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 26-Sep-13 18:30:14
Print Post

you are interleaved on the downstream so this gives extra latency and your sync speed will be below the attainable speed due to FEC.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 26-Sep-13 19:12:00
Print Post

Can you post the results of

xdslcmd info --pbParams

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Sep-13 19:22:38
Print Post

Working test link http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Sep-13 23:57:28
Print Post

Your actual connection speeds are in the Path line, and the downstream is so much lower than the Max because, as Chrysalis says, your line is set to Interleaved, probably because of noise and so errors on the line.

Unless you are on Sky or TalkTalk as the ISP there is then a thing called the IP Profile applied, which restricts your downstream throughput speed to 96.79% of the downstream rate in the Path line.

27887 x 0.9679 = 26992kbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Opabinia
(newbie) Fri 27-Sep-13 02:56:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Here are the requested results:

# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 6334 Kbps, Downstream rate = 32820 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 6204 Kbps, Downstream rate = 27887 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959)
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate: 6334 kbps 32820 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power: 3.8 dBm 11.7 dBm
============================================================================
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 D1 D2 D3
Line Attenuation(dB): 4.1 44.1 64.4 N/A 20.0 55.9 0.1
Signal Attenuation(dB): 4.1 44.1 0.0 N/A 20.0 55.9 N/A
SNR Margin(dB): 6.9 6.0 0.0 N/A 6.4 6.3 N/A
TX Power(dBm): -3.7 2.0 -4.1 N/A 10.5 5.5 N/A

Unfortunately I am with BT and they will do nothing to help unless the line is functioning outside their anticipated parameters. Worst ISP I've ever had by some margin. So what if anything can I practically do to deal with any of this?

The speed of the connection has dropped down to what we are seeing now only recently, beforehand it was in the low 30's. I don't understand this? Is it possible interleaving was absent before?

On several occasions recently the connection has just locked up, crashed, failed or whatever you'd call it and the only recourse was to restart the modem and hub.

My TB profile has results of the Speed Test spanning several months and the trend has been steadily downward from an initial 34.21/7.64 to what we are seeing now.

I didn't really anticipate all this bother when moving to fibre and BT my previous adsl connection showed little or no variation and the ISP was much better too.

I am very grateful to everyone who has read and posted replies. Many thanks.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Sep-13 07:42:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Opabinia:
My TB profile has results of the Speed Test spanning several months and the trend has been steadily downward from an initial 34.21/7.64 to what we are seeing now.

I didn't really anticipate all this bother when moving to fibre and BT my previous adsl connection showed little or no variation and the ISP was much better too.
It just sounds like crosstalk problems. Very common as more and more people take up the service on your cabinet. Hopefully it won't drop much further. There is a technology called 'Vectoring' that BT are trialling at the moment which would hopefully help you but it's probably at least a year off implementation.

You should definitely get on to BT if your router is crashing - that's something they can fix. I doubt it'll get fix your speed but it should be able to run 24/7. As for their quality as an ISP - you can't really blame them for this speed drop as it looks to just be the way your line is. A good ISP will try and get Openreach to come out and investigate but there are specific criteria that have to be met for that to happen and I'm not seeing that in your stats. You might be able to agree to pay for an engineer to come out but I suspect it'd be a waste of money. Seems like you're just quite a way from your cabinet and your line is picking up noise from your neighbours. Nothing much anyone can do about either of those for now,

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Opabinia
(newbie) Fri 27-Sep-13 18:27:13
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

So this quite dramatic drop of 4-5 Mbs is due to crosstalk on the line from increased user load? It almost sounds as if the line cannot support what is being asked of it in terms of supporting that number of people. In which case is it not reasonable to question BT/Openreach not doing something about it?

I live in a small village on Anglesey and although I don't know how many people are attached to my cabinet and of those how many even have a fibre connection it sounds not unlike the same story we have heard for a while that we are being sold products with promises of performance that the infrastructure cannot support.

I'm still left paying for a product that doesn't do what I was promised it would. I will contact BT once again and no doubt be sent from phone operator to phone operator to be told the same thing in a different voice in a slightly different way and it will all amount to nothing we can do or are going to do.

I wish there was something I could do having access to the HG612 but it would seem not.

I'm very grateful to everyone who has taken time to read and answer. Very many thanks.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to