General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:32:37
Print Post

Impact of Power Cuts?

[link to this post]

I understand that FTTC Cabinets have to have a mains power supply - which is not the case with the existing copper infrastructure.

Currently, during a power cut we can still use the landline for voice.

When a BDUK funded FTTC service hits our village in two years....:

Does this mean that all conncectivity - voice and broadband will become dependent on the availability of mains power?

Or:

Do we still get voice but no broadband when the power is down?

Or:

As the mobile signals in the area are flaky, do I think about getting a second line solely for FTTC broadband, and keep my current landline if I want to ensure that I have voice during a power cut?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:38:07
Print Post

Re: Impact of Power Cuts?

[re: woodlander] [link to this post]

On copper the exchange has its own battery backup and/or generator, so broadband should still work, assuming you have your own local power for the ADSL modem.

On FTTC, the cabinet has battery backup
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-cornwall/images/f...
On the floor in that picture, alas cannot decipher the Chinese data sheets.

Voice would be unaffected as the copper pair will work even if the FTTC cab is totally turned off. Broadband will keep running so long as the batteries do (think its 8 hours for a full cab) but probably longer as lots of people connected to cab will have no mains for their router at home.

Batteries can be swapped out I believe in case of longer outage, but don't think they guarantee that, though depends on the customers connected possibly.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User woodlander
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:41:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for rapid response and clarification.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 26-Sep-13 16:46:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In the event of a prolonged loss of mains power , openreach would continually replace the batteries or deploy a trailer to provide temporary power, however, there is no guarantee of zero loss of service during this time.
Standard User jren207
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 17:12:42
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
In the event of a prolonged loss of mains power , openreach would continually replace the batteries or deploy a trailer to provide temporary power, however, there is no guarantee of zero loss of service during this time.

I'd imagine if there were priority or business customers connected to the cabinet, then there may be all the stops pulled out.

I do however think that FTTC should have a battery backup unit installed as standard (like FTTP for keeping the phone on fibre-voice working), as this could prevent problems with customers having poor speeds after a disconnection, due to power problems.

Apparently there is a BBU port on VDSL modems, but it's blanked off?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Sep-13 18:16:28
Print Post

[re: jren207] [link to this post]

Would strike me as a pretty precarious business case increasing the cost of each and every FTTC install to avoid people being affected by DLM after a power outage.
Standard User jren207
(newbie) Thu 26-Sep-13 21:36:31
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
Would strike me as a pretty precarious business case increasing the cost of each and every FTTC install to avoid people being affected by DLM after a power outage.

You're probably right there. Perhaps an optional add-on for those who feel they need it? Could be cheaper than a UPS maybe.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Sep-13 21:48:54
Print Post

[re: jren207] [link to this post]

Or do as I do on power cuts and switch off the costly kit in case of damage.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to