General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Timmy_T
(newbie) Sun 29-Sep-13 11:43:15
Print Post

Fibre Broadband in Barnstaple, N Devon

[link to this post]

Hi,

Is there anywhere I can go to find out when we may be able to get broadband?

At the moment we cannot get any broadband because of our location and distance from our exchange, but an engineer told me last year that when our nearest village gets fibre, it will boost the speed in our area, so we won't get fibre per se, but we will be able to a decent normal broadband connection off the back of it.

Now, we've been told that the Barnstaple exchange has already been upgraded, we are just trying to find out when that service will be available in the next village, allowing us to get a service.

Thanks in advance
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 11:47:50
Print Post

Re: Fibre Broadband in Barnstaple, N Devon

[re: Timmy_T] [link to this post]

Use the DSL checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User somerset
(committed) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:13:36
Print Post

Which is your village?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:13:49
Print Post

An exchange offering fibre in some locations has no effect on those still on an adsl2+ service

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 29-Sep-13 14:42:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
An exchange offering fibre in some locations has no effect on those still on an adsl2+ service
Indeed so. There are some conceivable edge cases where the availability of fibre may improve the parameters of existing ADSL2+ lines as people move to the new fibre services. These effects are likely to be vanishingly small and quite possible maybe only measurable on sensitive test gear. If there was any evidence there was a real-life effect of fibre roll-out on ADSL lines, I'm sure the forums would have heard about it by now.

The availability of fibre will definitely not extend conventional ADSL broadband to areas that were previously out of range - the lines are too long and they will remain out of range for ADSL. Hopefully the village in which the original poster lives is included within the fibre roll-out. You would think the complete unavailability of ADSL would make that area a more attractive proposition for fibre services, but it may still not be cost-effective.

What the engineer could have been saying is that the lines in the currently unserved village are wired from a cabinet in the neighbouring village. This means that the currently unserved village potentially gets fibre broadband services when that cabinet goes live. The reason why I said 'potentially gets' is that the length of the lines to the cabinet might be too long for fibre services to work.

A fibre cabinet in the next village might be an enabling step for the phone network to be rearranged in the unserved village and the fibre system extended to it, possibly using BDUK money. MrSaffron will know better than I where the Devon and Somerset BDUK process has got to, and whether there's any information yet on coverage.

Standard User somerset
(committed) Sun 29-Sep-13 15:40:07
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

So far it's - http://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/final-co...

With the usual 101 caveats...
Standard User Timmy_T
(newbie) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:07:33
Print Post

[re: somerset] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by somerset:
Which is your village?

We live near a hamlet called Tawstock, which has next to no broadband. When we recently moved here we had BT broadband installed (having been quoted a speed of 1meg) and we actually received less than 250k, and our contact was therefore terminated.

The last engineer who visited (who said he was the senior chap in the office) explained that whilst we are only 2 miles from Barnstaple, the routing of the line is actually over 6 miles long, and made up of a mixture of copper and aluminium wiring. He then said that the end of the fibre connection was to be installed into the village of Eastacombe (about 1 1/2 miles away) and when that happened they would get about 30 meg fibre, but as our line would be an extension of that one (fibre into there feeding into normal broadband from there), we would see a rise in speeds to about 15 meg.

As you can probably see from my description of our situation, I'm not very technically minded(!), so can anyone advise me if this is or is not the case? I've just put an Eastacombe post code into the broadband checker and it says that you can place an order for fibre, so I assume it's imminent.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:14:07
Print Post

Installing fibre to the cabinet you are connected to WILL NOT improve ADSL speeds.

Ordering fttc if it becomes available in a 1.5 mile line is likely to be under 10 Mbps maybe lower but still a significant improvement on 0.25

Adsl broadband ie normal broadband is always fed from the exchange

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Sep-13 18:32:24
Print Post

No, what you do is put your phone number in, or if that doesn't work use the address checker NOT the postcode checker and see if that says you're connected to a cabinet.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User Timmy_T
(newbie) Sun 29-Sep-13 19:51:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
No, what you do is put your phone number in, or if that doesn't work use the address checker NOT the postcode checker and see if that says you're connected to a cabinet.

I know, and I also know fibre isn't coming this far. As I explained before, fibre is coming to the village down the road, so I wanted to know when it was due there, but it now appears that it won't make any difference and we'll still be without broadband.

As an aside, is there anything we can do about getting a better service? Is there any way to find out what is planned for our area? I find it unbelievable that a village 10 mins down the road will get fibre whilst we won't be able to get any sort of connection at all!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to