General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User fig
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 04:53:08
Print Post

Fibre cab connected to a different exchange

[link to this post]

I live on a new(ish now) estate which is served by a small exchange which is undergoing BDUK evaluation (they all are in the area at the moment). I've been told this weekend that between the housing developer, council and OpenReach that they are going to stand up two cabinets on the estate from a larger neighbouring exchange to give fibre access "to a majority" using existing ducting.

These cab's are scheduled to be installed before the end of the year and I'm trying to find out what this is going to actually allow to be done, i.e....
Will these cabs be connected to the neighbouring exchange and provision voice and fibre?
Will this just offer a fibre service as everyone on the estate already has voice services from the small exchange (and ADSL, no 21CN or LLU options)?
Will anyone wanting to get the fibre service need to get new copper laid to these cabs?
Will this only serve the immediate area for those already connected to cab's nearby or will people connected to cabs not immediately in the vicinity benefit (i.e. my cab is around 20m from my house, the nearest one of the two new ones will be up to 500m away so will I be excluded)?
Is this a temporary solution, i.e. if the small exchange is allocated funds and upgraded will this mean connections could be shifted to a closer cab in the future for higher speeds?

Hopefully someone out there knows some of these answers as I've only seen this kind of arrangement mentioned a couple of times and never with a lot of detail so any info appreciated.

Cheers

Craig

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Sep-13 08:17:16
Print Post

Re: Fibre cab connected to a different exchange

[re: fig] [link to this post]

The new fibre cab goes close to the existing copper cab and its fibre runs to the chosen exchange.

Zero changes to the voice part of the lines and adsl and llu are unaffected

So only benefits those NOW connected to a copper cab that will get a twin.

Very unlikely now that your exchange will get fibre funding but other cabs could be given a twin. Fibre can run for a good twenty miles

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Sep-13 09:13:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Presumably the fibre network could be extended out from the enabled cabinets to further cabinets in the future. There's plenty of examples of fibre being parented from a neighbouring exchange.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there is only funding available for two cabinets in this phase, which means that the original poster will see no benefit if he is not on an enabled cabinet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 09:18:07
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Fibres are not extended from cabinets, they terminate in the cabinet. They are run from an aggregation point to each connected cabinet.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 30-Sep-13 09:19:58
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Just what I was going to say, and this aggregation node is also the basis for Fibre on Demand and any roll-out of FTTP.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Sep-13 09:50:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I wonder if he could be on a secondary PCP connected to one of those proposed to get FTTC. Wouldn't that allow him to get it? At 500m he'd get a decent speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Sep-13 10:50:08
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Fibres are not extended from cabinets, they terminate in the cabinet. They are run from an aggregation point to each connected cabinet.
Indeed. I was trying to keep out of the technicalities of the fibre network by saying "from the cabinet", which is not strictly accurate. The more accurate answer is, as you rightly say, that there will be an aggregation point built somewhere to service the two cabinets, which will likely be in the vicinity of one or both of those cabinets. If so, that aggregation point can be used to connect further FTTC cabinets and FTTP.

In other words, this proposed deployment would move fibre closer to the unserved area, which might make the economics more favourable for fibre roll-out in a future further phase. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee if or when that future phase will happen.

Standard User fig
(experienced) Mon 30-Sep-13 11:17:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not sure how many cab's there are on this estate (anyone know if there is a map showing actual cab locations so I could check?) but there are upwards of 1500 houses now, approx 500 of these are served by the larger exchange with fibre which is due to be enabled imminently. The placement of these two new cabs could actually cover a large portion of the people on this estate as I don't think there are many cabs, but typically not the little pocket I'm in smile

We've been told that the exchange the rest of the estate is connected to is under evaluation and have been unofficially told (by a politician, hmmm) that it will be approved by the end of the year, but everyone is taking that with a pinch of salt!

If getting an additional line to get fibre is my only option at this stage, I would take it along with quite a few other people I'm aware of after some horrendous deployment of wireless broadband in the area has proved very unreliable.

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB
  Print Thread

Jump to