General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User andyswain
(member) Thu 03-Oct-13 19:09:39
Print Post

BB Speed.

[link to this post]

Hi All

I would just like to pick your brains please
And that is with BB speed namely FTTC At moment I am on unlimited normal full copper B/Band get 2.57Mbs Download and 0.30Mbs Upload
I went on the BB fibre tester where you enter your phone number and it brings up estimated speeds for me is 57.2Mbs Download and 17.8Mbs Upload

Right my friend over the road Directly opposite to me so about 18m away. He has Fibre BB with BT but ison the limited package and can only use 40Gb a month..(thats not a lot at all on Fibre cos I use between 130 and 160Gbs a month on my slow BB LOL) and he lets me use it if im down for any reason and He can use mine. We was both on the same normal BB till a few weeks ago.

Like I said he is on BT and has both their supplied kit Router sat on top of the modem. So I logged on via wireless and ran the BB speed test and got the following results
23.4Mbs Download and 1.7Mbs Upload.

Would you say that these are the sort of speeds I will get? The only difference is Im on plus.net
Then again could it be that im sat 20m away from the router and im on wireless. Im not familier with Fibre so dont know its traits or even how good the BT router is ?

Im just trying to find out If it would be worth the move over to Fibre Unlimited BB for me. But I would want speeds that where near the expected speeds on the checker and not the ones my mate gets above . I mean they are nearly Half speed D? and only 10% ul speed?

Regards and thanks for any light you could shed on this subject..

DSL and having a Slow experance at the moment frown
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Oct-13 21:12:47
Print Post

Re: BB Speed.

[re: andyswain] [link to this post]

The 40GB BT package is a 40Meg down and 2Meg up package.

There is a faster 40 down and ten up, then an 80 down and 20 up which bt retail call Infinity 2

As for why his download is not faster, double check using ethernet as wireless can be a bittle neck and what was the estimate. 18 m across road might be 300m of wire depending on the cable routing or even a different cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 22:21:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyswain:
Like I said he is on BT and has both their supplied kit Router sat on top of the modem. So I logged on via wireless and ran the BB speed test and got the following results
23.4Mbs Download and 1.7Mbs Upload.
Wireless connections have their own issues. If there are a lot of networks around you the wifi might be the limiting factor. I only get around 30Mb/s using wifi but on a wired connection I get over 60Mb/s.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Oct-13 08:21:59
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

A wireless connection over 20M probably through 1 or more walls is almost certainly the major limiting factor. As said, have to test via wired or at the very least close to the router.
Standard User andyswain
(member) Fri 04-Oct-13 18:53:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The 40GB BT package is a 40Meg down and 2Meg up package.

There is a faster 40 down and ten up, then an 80 down and 20 up which bt retail call Infinity 2

As for why his download is not faster, double check using ethernet as wireless can be a bittle neck and what was the estimate. 18 m across road might be 300m of wire depending on the cable routing or even a different cabinet

Oh right that would explain a lot And the Plus.net Unlimited Fibre package is the full 80/20. So I cannot really compare his speed even by hard wired
The estimate was exactly the same for Fibre but only 1.5Mbs for ADSL 2+

Regards

DSL and having a Slow experance at the moment frown
Standard User LakesGeek
(newbie) Tue 15-Oct-13 22:26:48
Print Post

Depends on time of day as well, it seems.

Earlier I was going "oooooo! 7MB/S on Steam! This is amazing!"
Currently it's going at 375-400 KB/S on Steam (i.e. a little slower than the ADSL broadband we had before)
Same story with anything else that shifts large amounts of data like Usenet or downloads. And even the speed testers are struggling.

It's not an overcrowded cabinet or exchange, as we're the first ones connected in the whole town so far laugh (and so possibly the only ones, as it's not been advertised yet)
I think plusnet is probably just oversubscribed, despite its excellent reputation.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Oct-13 22:40:10
Print Post

[re: LakesGeek] [link to this post]

PLusnet speed test is fine for me.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User LakesGeek
(newbie) Tue 15-Oct-13 22:46:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmmm...
Well the average on this Steam download isn't looking too bad, roughly half of what I was getting during the day rather than the horrifying ADSL speed I just quoted. I think it's just shaping as and when it needs to, with the overall effect being a roughly 50% speed on a non-essential service like Steam (or speed testers I guess?) compared to the full balls-to-the-wall ~62Mbps we were getting during the day when everyone was at work. Uploads still going at the full 15+.

If it's the exchange though, and we're the first ones on as of today, I dread to think what it'll be like when the other 12000 or so of the local population hops on!

Edited by LakesGeek (Tue 15-Oct-13 22:49:55)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Oct-13 22:54:13
Print Post

Wired or wireless, and how many of you are using it at the moment, doing what?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Oct-13 22:55:22
Print Post

Uploads still going at the full 15+.
What are you uploading?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to