General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User boomtown
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-13 19:17:14
Print Post

FTTC, copper cable and line speeds

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a question about the new fibre cabinet that's been installed in the village (Llanberis WNLR). We now have two cabinets: the older copper based one and the new fibre cabinet across the road from it. I believe the copper cabinet connects to the exchange in Brynrefail whilst the fibre goes straight to Caernarfon. Will BT run the two in parallel, so that those connected to the copper cabinet will continue to get the current ~2Mbps and those who pay for fibre will get the better speeds or will everyone be shifted to the fibre cabinet and have their speeds limited by the broadand package they pay for?

I have googled around but can't sort the wheat from the chaff. Likewise, the staff at BT, whilst friendly, couldn't give me an answer.

I guess what my question boils down to is: will I see a speed improvement even if I forego a fibre BB package?
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Oct-13 19:21:27
Print Post

Re: FTTC, copper cable and line speeds

[re: boomtown] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by boomtown:
Will BT run the two in parallel
Yes. Those who pay for an FTTC service have their line jumpered over to the new cabinet where the VDSL part is processed and sent on its way. The voice signal comes back again and continues on its way as it always did.

For those who don't take up an FTTC service nothing changes.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User boomtown
(newbie) Thu 03-Oct-13 19:28:47
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thanks for that Andrue. My assumptions have been proved wrong once again. Will I never learn?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Thu 03-Oct-13 20:54:20
Print Post

Boomtown

I suggest looking for a fibre package from your present supplier, if there is a price increase to get it look at other suppliers.

The speed increase if you are only getting 2Mb is very impressive, the upload change is amazing.

After they have spent your money you may as well take the service, it isn't much more expensive than many existing packages and is far better than all those delivering under 7Mb.

Rumour says Welsh exchanges have a lower SFBB takeup than other places so help to prove them wrong.

Remember to take a speed test on here if you do take FTTC so that others can see what speed you get ( put your postcode in). Highest speed on the map for Llanberis today is 3.11Mb / 0.34Mb
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 03-Oct-13 23:08:37
Print Post

How far, trying to follow the possible cable route, are you from your existing cabinet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User aramsay
(member) Fri 04-Oct-13 21:20:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by boomtown:
I believe the copper cabinet connects to the exchange in Brynrefail whilst the fibre goes straight to Caernarfon.

So even if you have FTTC, the 'voice' part of the line will still be served from Brynrefail, but the 'internet' (VDSL) part will be jumped onto the 'voice line' will come direct from Caernarfon.

AFAIK you could therefore have a situation that someone wipes out the Brynrefail exchange in it's entirety, you would have no voice service, but your internet would still work fine!
  Print Thread

Jump to