General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Animalmutha76
(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 08:57:55
Print Post

Hypothetical question

[link to this post]

Hi guys
If I get my contractor to fttp all the properties on my estate (400) with all the residents paying for the ducting and blowing: would openreach allow me to connect to their fibre cabinet (on the estate just none of the 400 houses are connected to it) that way the residents can choose their provider?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Oct-13 09:38:15
Print Post

Re: Hypothetical question

[re: Animalmutha76] [link to this post]

No

Fttp comes in two flavours

Point to point - as used by b4rn
Gpon as used by openreach

Gpon means a manifold per every 8 homes and fibre splitter per every 4 manifold

Fttp never goes to the cabinet it links to a bigger fibre splitter called aggregation node, usually near to cabinet and that will be already there.

You could install ducting and tubing and new pavement chambers to bt spec following a plan they create and then hand over for them to do the fibre blowing. This reduces costs to openreach and may make it commercially viable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 09:16:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Presumably Openreach have a contact for builders of this sort of scale to discuss connections to the network who would be happy to describe what infrastructure is required from the builder?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Oct-13 10:00:08
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

More complicated now the final commercial roll-outs been announced and counties are firming up their BDUK plans but in terms of contact a builder should already have been in touch with BT somehow to inform them about basic copper needs, so same avenue would be the correct starting point.

Failing that the nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk would be the usual place to start

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Mon 07-Oct-13 11:23:36
Print Post

Greetings!

We'd be happy to look into this for you - I'd need to know where your estate is, please email me with more details sunita.sharma@hyperoptic.com

Best wishes

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 20:45:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Gpon means a manifold per every 8 homes

12 surely ?

Standard User Animalmutha76
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 21:08:06
Print Post

[re: Hyperoptic] [link to this post]

Hi sunita we are in Wendover bucks hp22 5we I did phone you guys before but you said you couldn't help before has this changed now
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Oct-13 22:53:40
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

8 or 12 if brain cells are working there are two sizes 8 or 12

ISP Representative Hyperoptic
(isp) Tue 08-Oct-13 14:14:27
Print Post

Hello again

Your building looks perfect however it's not in our current roll-out area - I'm so sorry we're unable to help you experience the speeds you deserve today. Please ensure you have registered your interest via our website www.hyperoptic.com so if the situation changes, we can contact you with some good news.

Sunita

Welcome to the real fibre revolution!
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to