General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 05-Oct-13 09:04:35
Print Post

Fibre modems and routers

[link to this post]

Does Fibre require a separate modem and router? According to Plusnet, Openreach will bring two devices to connect. Is this the same for all Fibre ISPs?

If there's always a modem, can your router be, just a simple router?

I'd rather have as few things plugged in as possible though. My preference would be for a combined modem router with VoIP ports and gigabit ethernet.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Oct-13 10:17:33
Print Post

Re: Fibre modems and routers

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

I presume you are referring to FTTC.

Openreach currently supply and require you to use on of two types of modem. Behind that you can install whatever router you want to use or is supplied by your ISP.

There are combined modem/router device however you will not get support if that fails or has problems.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 05-Oct-13 10:56:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yes, thanks, I did mean FTTC.

So if I subscribed with Zen, Openreach would provide a modem and I'd have to buy a router?

I only know of ADSL routers and simple network switch type routers for Ethernet networking. Does the latter work when connected to the OR modem, or is there another type of router I need. I would want something to alow VPN pass through and port forward various services to my server.

Thanks,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 05-Oct-13 11:00:12
Print Post

You will need one which has a WAN port - sometimes called by other names such as Fibre. If you are happy with your existing router, there is a possibility it may be compatible or there will be a new version that is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Oct-13 11:15:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
Yes, thanks, I did mean FTTC.

So if I subscribed with Zen, Openreach would provide a modem and I'd have to buy a router?
That's exactly it. The engineer installs an interstitial filter on the master socket, provides a modem and connects it to the filter. You provide (or buy from Zen) the router that connects to the modem. Your router must have an Ethernet WAN port and support PPPoE. Zen will send you the PPPoE user name and password.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Oct-13 11:47:42
Print Post

Anything sold as a "cable router" should work.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Oct-13 11:49:57
Print Post

According to Plusnet, Openreach will bring two devices to connect

Odd that Plusnet would have said that. Openreach (or its subcontractor) would bring one device, the modem. Plusnet would supply the router separately in advance.

Kevin

Using OpenDNS
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Oct-13 12:00:23
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
According to Plusnet, Openreach will bring two devices to connect
Odd that Plusnet would have said that. Openreach (or its subcontractor) would bring one device, the modem. Plusnet would supply the router separately in advance.
ISPs can buy a BT Openreach product where the ISP supplies BT Openreach with routers for BT Openreach engineers to supply to that ISP's customers.

BT Retail (i.e. Infinity) is one ISP that has taken up this option. There is at least one more ISP using this product - I believe it might be PlusNet.

I can't remember whether this product applies to new connections, or only when certain engineers are investigating FTTx faults. Hopefully someone can flesh out the details.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Oct-13 12:07:38
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
ISPs can buy a BT Openreach product where the ISP supplies BT Openreach with routers for BT Openreach engineers to supply to that ISP's customers.

BT Retail (i.e. Infinity) is one ISP that has taken up this option. There is at least one more ISP using this product - I believe it might be PlusNet.

Yes, I know that BT Infinity uses this option. I had not heard anywhere that Plusnet did..

Kevin

Using OpenDNS

Edited by kasg (Sat 05-Oct-13 12:08:19)

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 05-Oct-13 12:09:45
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:

You're right, they didn't! I was speed reading their FAQs where there's a graphic (can't find the page now) showing the two devices and describing the installation. But if I read carefully they do say they send the modem router before the OR installer comes.

I stand corrected!

[edited typo]

Edited by Woolwich (Sat 05-Oct-13 13:29:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to