General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Westyfield2
(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 10:47:50
Print Post

IP Profile Massively Dropped - Reset?

[link to this post]

Assuming this should go in the generic fibre forum as it's more of an OpenReach FTTC DLM issue than related to my specific ISP? [Mods please move it if you want]

ISP: BT Retail
Package Details: Unlimited BT Infinity 2.
Estimated speed given when signing: 51.5Mb/s.

So I've had BT Infinity a while and have now got used to it. Speedtest result when the connection first went live was about 55Mb/s download and 17MB/s upload. The IP Profile was 57.1Mb/s download and 20Mb/s upload.

After a few weeks speedtest results went down to 52Mb/s, and from looking the IP Profile had gone down to 53.89Mb/s download. So that's pretty much spot on the 51.5Mb/s estimate and I'm not complaining, that's fast enough for me! The upload speedtest and IP Profile both stayed the same.
It then stayed perfectly stable at this speed and up until now I've been perfectly happy - loving that FTTC is finally available on my exchange (I thought we were never going to get it!).

This week (Thursday 3rd October at 1PM) for some reason the connection dropped and then came back online with a new IP address. Don't know why it dropped suddenly when it never normally does and is perfectly stable, but for whatever reason it did (there was an OpenReach van next door if that's any coincidence?).

Since this drop, the pings and upload speed are fine. But... the download speed has taken a nosedive. Speedtest results are now 35Mb/s.
Doing the BT Wholesale test I can see that this is because my IP Profile has been knocked right down. The IP Profile now since Thursday is 36.7Mbps, down from 53.89Mb/s before (but the upstream profile is still 20 Mbps).

So obviously I'm not a happy chappy that one loss of sync on a previously perfectly stable connection has reduced by IP Profile by over 17Mb/s!

So the question is... what can I do to get the speed back? I guess the IP Profile has to be reset somehow?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-Oct-13 10:55:14
Print Post

Re: IP Profile Massively Dropped - Reset?

[re: Westyfield2] [link to this post]

If a burst of noise was enough to drop the connection and was still present during renegotiation then you might have a false low sync speed. In which case a resync another day to see if you can resync better

The open reach dlm also looks at error rates as well as dropped connections

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 05-Oct-13 11:36:14
Print Post

my hunch is its crosstalk caused by the installation next door and DLM hasnt done anything if thats the situation you are probably stuck with the new speed.

If you lucky it was just temporary noise as mrsaffron suggested meaning if you manually reboot the modem you will get your speed back.

I doubt is DLM as that typically doesnt kick in during the day.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 13:24:06
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Thanks both.

This will actually be the first time that the modem has been restarted since I got FTTC installed (it's on a UPS so stayed on even when the power cut out!).

Edited by Westyfield2 (Sat 05-Oct-13 15:57:37)

(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 16:15:05
Print Post

So I got lucky whilst out in the garden earlier. Parked up was an OpenReach van, who had just been in next door sorting out a problem.

Spoke to him and he offered to do me a DLM reset smile. He said that if it didn't bring the speeds back up to what they were pre-thursday, then I should call up to report the fault.

Looking at the BQM, at 2:30PM (just after speaking with him) my modem lost sync, and now the routers got a new IP address. So in effect as-well as whatever it was he did in the OpenReach system to reset the DLM, the modem has done a resync (and I can maintain my record of never having unplugged it!)

Doing a speedtest now an hour and a half later I'm getting 39.3Mb/s. And on the Wholesale test the IP Profile is for 40.7Mb/s.

So the good news is that the IP Profile is now +4MB/s on what it was this morning smile (thanks to the DLM reset and resync), but at 40.7Mb/s that's still 13meg less than what it was pre-thursday (53.89Mb/s) frown.

Suggestions on what I do next?

Edited by Westyfield2 (Sat 05-Oct-13 16:37:05)

Standard User dave2150
(experienced) Sun 06-Oct-13 07:13:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Westyfield2:
So I got lucky whilst out in the garden earlier. Parked up was an OpenReach van, who had just been in next door sorting out a problem.

Spoke to him and he offered to do me a DLM reset smile. He said that if it didn't bring the speeds back up to what they were pre-thursday, then I should call up to report the fault.

Looking at the BQM, at 2:30PM (just after speaking with him) my modem lost sync, and now the routers got a new IP address. So in effect as-well as whatever it was he did in the OpenReach system to reset the DLM, the modem has done a resync (and I can maintain my record of never having unplugged it!)

Doing a speedtest now an hour and a half later I'm getting 39.3Mb/s. And on the Wholesale test the IP Profile is for 40.7Mb/s.

So the good news is that the IP Profile is now +4MB/s on what it was this morning smile (thanks to the DLM reset and resync), but at 40.7Mb/s that's still 13meg less than what it was pre-thursday (53.89Mb/s) frown.

Suggestions on what I do next?

You can't do anything. The speed loss is simply as your neighbour is now also using VDSL2, which causes crosstalk to occur.

When another neighbour gets VDSL, you'll see your speeds drop even further.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 06-Oct-13 09:12:10
Print Post

If your DLM had been reset, I would have thought the BT Wholesale test would show your IP Profile at maximum 80Mbps not 40.7Mbps. Sounds like only your linecard was reset and you could have done that yourself with a reboot IMO.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 07-Oct-13 03:21:24
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

no the BTw profile page shows the IP profile, not the DLM profile.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 20:26:17
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

So my plan now is to leave it for a couple of weeks and see what happens before reporting the fault.

Assuming this is crosstalk and not some other noise issue, I was the first on this cabinet (and it's the first cabinet on the exchange) so I was expecting speeds to dip slightly after a while when more customers signed up and crosstalk kicked in.

But surely this can't be right? It lost 25% of speed in one hit!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-13 20:37:09
Print Post

Crosstalk is dependent on various factors, including the geometry of the cable. If another user takes up FTTC whose pair is in close proximity within the cable to yours, the extra noise from crosstalk between your pair and his can cause a substantial drop in your speed.

In other words, speed drops due to crosstalk are not necessarily a gradual process as the number of subscribers climbs. You can have lots of people subscribe with little effect on you, then one further connection is enabled and the performance of your connection drops significantly.

If this is crosstalk, it's not a fault, just an unfortunate consequence of trying to squeeze the maximum performance out of a twisted pair of wires. Ultimately, vectoring will give the cabinet DSLAM a degree of flexibility to look for a solution to cancel out near end crosstalk, which is responsible for the majority of these issues. At the moment, vectoring is only in the trial stage and it may be some time before it is deployed.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to