General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pras1011
(newbie) Sun 06-Oct-13 12:41:43
Print Post

Hacked HG612 settings to run in pure modem only mode

[link to this post]

I have hacked my HG612 and I am on Talktalk Fibre.

1) What settings do I need to turn it into a pure modem so that my wirless router can take care of everything else?
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-Oct-13 20:21:36
Print Post

Re: Hacked HG612 settings to run in pure modem only mode

[re: pras1011] [link to this post]

By default that's exactly what it is. You have to change settings to make it do anything else.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST

Edited by kasg (Sun 06-Oct-13 20:46:04)

Standard User pras1011
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 07:22:35
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I dont have the wireless at the moment. I have a 8 port gigabit switch that I plug the HG612 into. I have notice that it gives devices plugged into the switch unique IP addresses.

How can this be when I have not enabled DHCP server within the HG612?

Does this mean that I turn on the wireless router up first and the modem second so that the wireless router forces the modem to use the router's IP?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-13 14:05:41
Print Post

I'm confused, which LAN port on the modem are you connecting to?

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-13 15:00:53
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
I'm confused, which LAN port on the modem are you connecting to?
Indeed. What the original poster describes is not the normal behaviour of a typical 'hacked' modem, which, by default, remains a modem via the LAN 1 port rather than becoming a router.

What I don't know is whether TalkTalk FTTx use PPPoE (like most other FTTx ISPs) or DHCP (as used by Sky - though Sky use particular DHCP options for authentication in an approach sometimes called MER). If TalkTalk use DHCP, that may account for DHCP traffic from the modem - but it still sounds unusual for each device to be getting an address, especially without any authentication options being passed. However, this forum post implies TalkTalk FTTC uses DHCP without special authentication options (either by checking the traffic is from a subscriber from the information inserted into the DHCP request by the cabinet DSLAM's DHCP relay agent, or simply assuming any traffic arriving on the TalkTalk network is there legitimately). If so, that would explain the behaviour observed - TalkTalk use DHCP, so that's what is being seen through the modem.

The other possibility is that the DHCP responses are coming from the modem's LAN 2 port, which is only used for access to the modem itself in the standard 'hacked' configuration.

Standard User huwwatkins
(committed) Mon 07-Oct-13 15:02:23
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Talk Talk use DCHP rather than PPoE. This is how my Asus Router is connected to the Openreach modem.
Standard User pras1011
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 15:58:40
Print Post

[re: huwwatkins] [link to this post]

I am using LAN 1 for internet and I am using LAN 2 for stats.

The only settings i changed on the modem was the paasword!

Before the modem was hacked all I did was plugged it into a router.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-13 16:22:51
Print Post

I don't see what's changed, then. Before hacking the modem, it did DHCP with the connected device. After hacking the modem, it did DHCP with the connected device (or is it more than one connected device?). From your description the modem is continuing to act as a VDSL2 modem and layer 2 bridge, just as it did before you hacked it.

Surely all you need to do is set your router to acquire an address via DHCP on its Ethernet WAN port, connect the router's Ethernet WAN port to the modem's LAN 1 port, connect your client devices to the router, and you have Internet access. You don't appear to have described any change in the LAN 1 behaviour after hacking the modem, though I may have missed it.

Standard User pras1011
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 16:41:03
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I am getting a new 802.11ac router very soon therefore there is no way of testing the behaviour of HG612 for now. I used to use a Draytek 2750n VDSL router. I then plugged the HG612 into it but that didnt work!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Oct-13 21:52:07
Print Post

Where did you get the 612 hack from? It could be you have found one that we don't know about, that behaves differently. The one that (so far as I know) everyone here uses is the one under "Firmware images" in the right-hand column of this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to