General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dibdab
(experienced) Sun 06-Oct-13 13:50:10
Print Post

Moving providers but not can't offer Fibre

[link to this post]

I have fibre broadband with sky at the moment and was looking at changing to plusnet as it is cheaper over the 18months, but plusnet say they can't offer me fibre broadband when I have had it for a year with sky.

Is this likely to be because the cabinet is full?

Thanks

---------

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Eclipse/F2S/Zen/IDnet/O2/ Plusnet//Sky Unlimited
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 06-Oct-13 17:07:57
Print Post

Re: Moving providers but not can't offer Fibre

[re: dibdab] [link to this post]

Either out of current capacity or full
Standard User dibdab
(experienced) Sun 06-Oct-13 17:42:46
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thanks for confirming.

---------

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/1...

Eclipse/F2S/Zen/IDnet/O2/ Plusnet//Sky Unlimited

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Oct-13 19:29:06
Print Post

If your line is with sky on their llu then this will be why, you would first need to get the line returned onto the BTWLR3 platform before providers like plusnet are able to offer their broadband services, At the moment the BTW system can't see your line, so they cannot place an order with BT openreach, a way of testing this would be to enter you telephone number here, https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html And let us know what result it spits out back at you, If(MPF ) LLU then it won't recognise or be able to give any estimates ect, but will work if you use your address and post code

If you think about it, your line already is connected to a line card in the FTTC cab, a switch of ISP doesn't need more space to be available , infact a switch of ISP (FTTC >><<FTTC) doesn't require any changes to be made at the FTTC cab or at your home as that bit is already in place so will utilise the existing setup, except in the event that sky has supplied a combined fttc moden/router device, as that will be locked to sky, and you would then need a standard BT Openreach modem

Edited by tommy45 (Sun 06-Oct-13 19:39:04)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Oct-13 19:38:45
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

" ... a switch of ISP doesn't need space available , infact a switch of ISP (FTTC >><<FTTC) doesn't require any changes to be made at the FTTC cab or at your home as that bit is already in place,"

But BT haven't made this switch simple? Switching the phone line back to BT will cease the broadband with Sky and disconnect your line from the fibre cabinet card leaving this open for another customer to use.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Oct-13 19:43:14
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tommy45:
If your line is with sky on their llu then this will be why, you would first need to get the line returned onto the BTWLR3 platform before providers like plusnet are able to offer their broadband services, At the moment the BTW system can't see your line, so they cannot place an order with BT openreach ....
Yes they can Tommy. Migration from full LLU FTTC to WLR + BT Wholesale CPs is possible, but needs great care by the gaining ISP. In PlusNet's case it's advisable to get a Digital Care Team member involved (The PN reps that come here).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Oct-13 19:58:12
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Ahh, Plusnet do RTD working line takeovers don't they, if so they could do a sim provide on the same day,
And even if not, the line at the FTTC wouldn't be disconnected for at least a few days, maybe a week as if the FTTC is currently at capacity, no one can currently place an order regardless of which ISP they choose,
Only once the OP's line is physically disconnected from sky's kit will anyone be able to place an order, a sim provide would prevent the op loosing their connect at the cab or should do ,

And seeing as the OP hasn't recieved any official confirmation that their FTTC is full, discussing is not really helping the OP find out as to why Plusnet where unable to offer FTTC or quite possibly ADSL as well, lack of details from the coversation with Plusnet leaves too many varables to offer more than a guess

I gave one reason that would prevent an ISP being able to place an order or migrate broadband services from a supplier such as Sky or TT, that being the line is fully unbundled (FMPF) and as such prevents a normal migration between ISP's
And if your line is connected to a FTTC cab you should not be disconnected from it ,if you are migrating ISP's Sky would be notified regarding a RTD order by BT openreach, and if the gaining ISP had placed a sim provide then it would be clear that the FTTC service wasn't to be ceased
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Oct-13 20:18:49
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
But BT haven't made this switch simple? Switching the phone line back to BT will cease the broadband with Sky and disconnect your line from the fibre cabinet card leaving this open for another customer to use.
I don't think that is correct either.

Sky are able to support SMPF even on FTTC. It's only a PSTN cease that kills broadband at the Openreach end. As I said to tommy though, the problem should not arise - a same-day switch of line and FTTC is now possible.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Oct-13 22:00:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ah ok. Switching seems to have improved these days then.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-13 01:03:52
Print Post

This is what happened to me while on skype fibre

when i tried to switch to infinity BT said fibre wasnt available in my area.

Cincinnati Bell - FIoptics 10/2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to