General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DonnieDio2000
(learned) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:35:00
Print Post

Fibre delayed by a year?

[link to this post]

Thought for a long time I'd never get fast Broadband where I am. Then about 8 months ago very much to my surprise my exchange (ebchester) finally got on the list for fibre. It was then changed from Future Exchange to Coming Soon with a date of 31/12/13. Great fibre for Christmas smile Then I was told my cabinet wasn't viable, back to thinking I'd never get fast broadband frown A few months later Openreach decided they were wrong earlier and not only would my cabinet be upgraded but I'd have fibre by October to November 2013. Also because I live right next to my cabinet I should get max speeds! Great extremely fast fibre Broadband before Christmas smile

Anyway today I checked and its now gone back to Future Exchange with a date of "End 2014". frown I hope to god this is just a delay into early 2014 and they're just using end of 2014 to be conservative. Because after all that to only be 1-2 months away and then have it go back to 1 year+ would be horrible!

I've contacted Openreach and I'll post their response here for anyone else who may be interested.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Tue 08-Oct-13 13:35:46)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:40:39
Print Post

Re: Fibre delayed by a year?

[re: DonnieDio2000] [link to this post]

The Openreach Where and When does for some counties also include the council project information so the ebb and flow may be down to changing timelines on that project, presume its Durham that is your area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Tue 08-Oct-13 15:36:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

U're not the only one, mine is set back until Spring 2014 suppose to be March 2013 then November 2013 and now put back to March 2014.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ryant704
(member) Tue 08-Oct-13 16:36:10
Print Post

The 2014 will be for all the cabinets that are planned to be upgraded should be completed by then, it's very likely yours will be done before this date. Though you could be waiting until the end, just think of all the other people with slower speeds than you and who will not get access to faster broadband for many more years to come.

Edited by ryant704 (Tue 08-Oct-13 16:36:56)

(learned) Fri 18-Oct-13 00:20:57
Print Post

I checked on the Openreach rollout plan list and it specifies May 2014 for my exchange, the site map still says "End 2014" but hopefully the list is more accurate?
(learned) Mon 04-Nov-13 14:25:15
Print Post

OK Openreach finally got back to me last week. Apparently they expect my cabinet to start accepting orders by January 2014. Also the DSL checker has now been updated with FTTC details for my house. Says my speeds should be up to 80mbps down and 20mbps up.

So it seems I should have it sometime between January and May next year, looking forward to it smile
Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Nov-13 15:24:32
Print Post

I've been taunted by Openreach since about 2011. Every year it's said "by end of 2011, 2012, 2013 etc". I came off holiday in July and it said for the first ever time, an actual date "RFS by 31st December 2013". Woohoo! I thought. Then a few weeks back it's changed again to "by end of 2014".

To top it off I live a reasonable distance from the exchance, if I was as near as you I wouldn't be that bothered.

Migrating to BE
(learned) Mon 04-Nov-13 21:44:23
Print Post

[re: Irby] [link to this post]

I'm not very close to my exchange, just right next to the cabinet. What speeds do you get currently?, just out of interest.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Mon 04-Nov-13 21:47:38)

Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Nov-13 09:43:08
Print Post

Ah, I see, apologies, thought you were near to the exchange.

I get about 6mbps which is enough for legacy type Internet usage, but not up to multiple IPTV etc. Plus I work from home, I'd like greater upload speeds.

Migrating to BE
(learned) Tue 05-Nov-13 13:27:17
Print Post

[re: Irby] [link to this post]

I'm a few km from the exchange and get 4Mbps. Usually fast enough when I'm using it myself, but not nearly fast enough when its being shared. Not so bothered about upload personally. I'd just like to be able to leave something downloading at a decent speed and browse the internet without someone shouting from downstairs that Netflix won't load smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to