General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IranianGiraffe
(newbie) Wed 09-Oct-13 21:26:26
Print Post

FTTP maybe?

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

A bit of a long shot question here but basically my village is having fibre laid around it thanks to the BDUK money and going by roadworks.org site 2 fibre cabinets are being installed by 2 of the village cabinets (one being the one closest to my house but not the one it's connected to). Now there is nothing down on roadworks.org site around my cabinet but a friend within BT (who is now on holiday) says that a few weeks ago he thought he saw plans for my connection to be made FTTP instead. (connectingdevonandsomerset do say that if a cabinets a long way from the exchange then they often do try to do FTTP instead, mine is around 4km from it) if thats the case then obviously it wouldn't need a cabinet next to it and so wouldn't show up on roadworks.org.
Now the last few days has seen loads of BT fibre optic livery vans apparently around the village and a neighbor today said that one of them stopped by the BT underground chamber thing that serves our road (it's a dead end road) and opened it up.
I can't ask a BT engineer who would be doing anything as by the time I finish work they are as well so they are long gone by the time I get there.
I've asked connectingdevonandsomerset but apparently they are unable to give out plans at the moment as things are subject to change (even though cabinets and cable is being laid in the village already)

So my long shot question was does anyone know why they would need to open it up?, I guess that they may need to do it for a normal phone line issue but apparently they didn't go to anyones house afterwards they just opened it up and then left.
I'm kinda hoping/praying/sacrificing goats that they opened it up it's because they are looking at putting fibre down to it, but since I know sweet FA about fibre/telephone lines etc there could be another reason why.

Regards
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Oct-13 21:44:37
Print Post

Re: FTTP maybe?

[re: IranianGiraffe] [link to this post]

It wont need a cabinet, but there would be the work to put in a pavement chamber for an aggregation node somewhere, and then splitter nodes on poles or in pavement.

It is a possibility but I would not bet money on it

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 09-Oct-13 23:34:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,

I forgot to put that the fibre is coming from a local town and not via the exchange that my telephone line is connected to. Basically the fibre is coming down the main road and there is a cabinet being installed alongside it and then 20m or so there is a turn off to the left, you follow that road and it branches off 2 ways, first left to a dead end road and then 20 or so metres past that to the right and my road. The road that leads off the main road (and leads to mine) is being dug up in some parts but the water company are doing stuff as well so I'm not sure who it is that's doing it.
I was hoping that the splitter node was going to be put in the pavement chamber at the entrance to our road and that's why they had opened it up.
My actual cabinet I'm connected to is 150m or so along the main road past the turning I mention above and someone has said that BT had a hole dug close to that as well (although I think it's more likely that it's a chamber being opened again I've not been past that way for a while so not sure).
I guess I will wait and see.

Thanks again for the reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-13 07:58:11
Print Post

There are lots of patches of FTTP all over Cornwall/Devon would expect there to be some near you as well.

Edited by Ribble (Thu 10-Oct-13 12:29:29)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Oct-13 09:08:59
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

http://www.roadworks.org is a good way to identify the various works without bothering those doing the digging.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 10-Oct-13 11:30:53
Print Post

If your telephone is fed via an overhead dropwire from a pole to your house, then any potential FTTP will be easier to spot as the engineers will eventually run a fibre cable either from a chamber to your pole, or possibly from another pole if the cables are all overhead. If fed from a chamber near the pole it will then likely be left coiled up near the base of the pole for a while before being run up the pole and a manifold fitted.

The cable is black with a couple of yellow stripes running down it.
(newbie) Thu 10-Oct-13 12:30:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.roadworks.org is a good way to identify the various works without bothering those doing the digging.

Yup I'd already checked roadworks.org site thanks, that's how I knew about the cabinet install and that the water company were doing stuff, both at opposite ends of the road where the hole is so I'll just have to be patient and find out later.

thanks again
(newbie) Thu 10-Oct-13 12:31:36
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
There are lots of patches of FTTP all over Cornwall/Devon would expect there to be some near you as well.

thanks for the info.
(newbie) Thu 10-Oct-13 12:34:38
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rastus:
If your telephone is fed via an overhead dropwire from a pole to your house, then any potential FTTP will be easier to spot as the engineers will eventually run a fibre cable either from a chamber to your pole, or possibly from another pole if the cables are all overhead. If fed from a chamber near the pole it will then likely be left coiled up near the base of the pole for a while before being run up the pole and a manifold fitted.

The cable is black with a couple of yellow stripes running down it.

I'll keep an eye out and hope that it shows up, pretty sure its all underground apart from the last pole to the house.

thanks for the info.
  Print Thread

Jump to