General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shinerweb
(newbie) Thu 10-Oct-13 14:58:22
Print Post

FTTC Rollout available to BT Customers first

[link to this post]

Here in Bramley (Hampshire), we are literally days away from our cabinets being switched on (ok, in an ideal world). BT Wholesale now reporting a mix of availability dates for various cabinets etc etc.
Unfortunately, I'm on cabinet 6 which I believe (know) is the last in the leg. It's all powered up and good to go and now has an availability date range of October 2013 to March 2014 whereas last week it was simply March 2014.

Now despites all postcodes and telephone numbers that you enter at https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html still reporting "Sorry, FTTC/Infinity is not available", BT customers are being told they can upgrade right now. A few have even got BT Engineers booked for the install on this Saturday. The exchange is still marked as "CS" (Coming Soon) via http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So my question is: "Is it only those installations completed under the BDUK delivery programme that BT are not allowed to unfairly take advantage of or does that apply to the whole roll-out?". I only ask as I can't seem to find an online reference which clarifies the situation and I've had a few enquiries from local residents which I can't answer with any certainty. Can anyone supply a definitive answer?
aka. Can BT Wholesale make the fibre rollout available to BT before other ISP's?

To back this up, we have an instance of 3 residents next to each other, on Sky, BT and Plusnet. BT user requested upgrade, engineer booked for this Saturday, all happy. Sky user next door was told, not available until March 2014 (no mention of October). Plusnet user was told that not available right now, but their system was saying October 2013 so it could be any time soon and to keep checking.
When the Plusnet customer told them their neighbour had a BT Engineer booked for Saturday, the Plusnet guy told him that can't be possible, that cabinet isn't live yet.
(All 3 phone numbers and postcodes are on same exchange/cabinet).

Seems to be only current BT customers being offered the roll-out first as one resident attempted to switch to BT and was told not currently available but was showing at October 2013 (is on same cabinet/exchange as the 3 above).

I didn't think that there was a more 'current' version of the BT Wholesale exchange status databases. I was under the impression that all ISP's, BT included accessed the same BT Wholesale database.

Now as much as it pains me to say this, personally, since this is not part of the BDUK rollout (within Hampshire), and in effect BT have paid for this rollout themselves, one could argue commercially why can't they take advantage of it. But that is why I'm asking the question because I've heard it mentioned, but cannot find any hard evidence that BT Wholesale are or are not allowed to do this.

Many thanks

Regards

Chris
--
ps. Cabinet 6 - THTG (Turgis Green Exchange)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 10-Oct-13 15:11:04
Print Post

Re: FTTC Rollout available to BT Customers first

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

Cabinet availability is made available to all ISPs and CPs at the same time , whether BDUK or commercial. Sky , Talk Talk and Zen may report a different date as they may use their LLU equipment in the handover nodes, which requires their own link to the openreach equipment.
Maybe plusnet have their own data which hasn't been updated, as they are part of BT group anyway it would be odd to discriminate against themselves.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Oct-13 15:19:31
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

If available to BT Retail via BT Wholesale it will also be available to all other BT Wholesale providers at the same time.

For Sky and TalkTalk they buy direct from Openreach and require the installing of their GEA-Fibrelink cable in the exchange to cross-link to their LLU hardware. Remember BT Wholesale is just another Openreach customer and might be quicker off the mark to order their GEA link, in the same way BT Retail was advertising Infinity on TV years before TalkTalk and Sky.

The question will be whether those people get an engineer and working FTTC on Saturday. There has to be someone connected first, and it is possible many providers via BT Wholesale have the opportunity but don't elect to be the guinea pigs. The fact only existing customers are being taken suggests this is guinea pig phase.

For the record the equivalence of input applies to BDUK projects just as much as any other roll-out, hence the same prices etc.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 19:43:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

One to watch, with interest. Once the neighbour is online, it will be quite difficult to delay someone on PlusNet at least...

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Fri 22-Nov-13 17:08:12
Print Post

Re: FTTC Rollout available to BT Customers first *DELETED*

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Ianph
  Print Thread

Jump to