General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User antlane
(regular) Mon 14-Oct-13 13:14:39
Print Post

North Finchley Cabinet P48 - Underground utilities

[link to this post]

Frustratingly, it appears that the cabinet that serves my block of flats can't be upgraded for fibre because of underground utilities. However, using the checker at http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/, it shows the cabinet in the wrong location. The actual position is on the corner of Woodside Park Road and Holden Road.

I've been in touch with nga.enquiries but they unfortunately haven't been much help. I haven't been able to ascertain whether this discrepancy of cabinet positions is deliberate (i.e. they intend to move the cabinet which sounds unlikely) or is a mistake in the data. If it is a mistake, could the planners be looking in the wrong place and if they looked at the correct location, there would be a good chance of us getting fibre? Next to the cabinet is a phonebox which I bet isn't used at all - getting rid of this would surely free up some space!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get some movement on this, I'd appreciate it!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Oct-13 13:33:39
Print Post

Re: North Finchley Cabinet P48 - Underground utilities

[re: antlane] [link to this post]

Might be worth a trawl of local council planning approvals online.

The plinth for the new cabinet may be too deep for the various utilities in the area, and removing the telephone box is another matter, particularly as most cabinets have a larger footprint than a telephone box

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User antlane
(regular) Mon 14-Oct-13 14:07:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As far as I can see, there are no planning applications for either road. It doesn't help that the date sort order functionality doesn't work!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 14-Oct-13 22:14:09
Print Post

[re: antlane] [link to this post]

When I was using that site it always seemed to show the cabinets in the wrong location, it's possible it's just using a postcode and that often centres to the area covered by the postcode.

Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Tue 15-Oct-13 06:53:08
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Like RONSKI, I have just tried that site.

Both the Exchange Marker ("FE" in this case) and the "Blue Flag" for the two known, adjacent Post Codes, indicate the "centre" of the respective Post Code areas; and are all some distance from the Exchange location and from the known Cabinet location.
Standard User antlane
(regular) Fri 25-Oct-13 09:58:35
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info. Doesn't look as if we'll be getting fibre any time soon frown
  Print Thread

Jump to