General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mikegg
(newbie) Wed 16-Oct-13 20:22:38
Print Post

BT moved the goalposts !!

[link to this post]

When I had my original FTTC install (Plusnet) I was quoted 32 Mbps. Got over 36 on the install day but lots of problems since - even down to 16 Mbps and it settled at around 18.

Was going to write to CIFAS but just before I did I looked at the Checker and BT had 'adjusted' it to max of 21.1 Mbps !!

Is this worth pursuing ?

Thanks
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 21:12:35
Print Post

Re: BT moved the goalposts !!

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

Not via CIFAS, no.

In the first instance consult your ISP. Do remember that the speed advertised was approximate and an 'up to'.

If there isn't a fault there and it's just the usual effect of more people signing up the best you might get is to exit contract early, however moving ISP won't make a jot of difference to the speed you receive.

Sorry to sound grim but CIFAS don't deal with this sort of thing. Your ISP should have a complaints resolution process to follow if you aren't happy with how they deal with you.
Standard User idb
(committed) Thu 17-Oct-13 07:10:37
Print Post

Re: BT moved the goalposts !!

[re: mikegg] [link to this post]

It's not just you - they changed the estimate on a lot of lines, maybe even all of them, about 6 months ago.

My estimate went from 57 (Oct 2012) to 40 now, although I am still getting just over 50.

I seem to recall the discussion then seemed to think that BT were responding to the increased uptake of FTTC and the decreasing speeds due to crosstalk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to