General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Oct-13 20:47:58
Print Post

Planning Permission for Cabinets?

[link to this post]

I am just wondering what the situation is regarding planning permission and new / existing cabinets?

The reason I ask is that I thought it has been relaxed this year regarding allowing cabinets to be placed without planning permission even in national parks but I may be wrong?

The reason I ask is that about 3 months ago I emailed NGA and they stated it was down to planning permission issues that the cabinet has not gone live yet. (I think it is the only cabinet on the exchange that has not gone live)

I found the planning permission application which went through below.

I just do not see why the objection from someone seeing as the cabinet is not even in direct view of any house and next to a main road. Also they do not seem to have objected to the other cabinet in the village which is about 500 yards further up the road (even more annoying that one is only 100 yards from my house but unfortunately I am not connected to it) so is just baffling to me.

I have emailed NGA again but am still waiting a response.

http://www.planning.cravendc.gov.uk/fastweb/fulldeta...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Oct-13 21:34:12
Print Post

Re: Planning Permission for Cabinets?

[re: colic] [link to this post]

Those planning rule changes have not passed yet, the slow path through the political system.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:03:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah well, think I am just going to pay my sister to have BT infinity and go round hers (she lives 200 yards away) I just need the upload speed as at the moment I am paying £15 a month for a 3 mobile dongle with around 1.5meg up and that is all I use it for. So might as well just pay her £15 a month instead and have a faster upload speed and more reliable.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User charles1
(learned) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:33:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Those planning rule changes have not passed yet, the slow path through the political system.

Are you sure?

The Growth & Infrastructure Act 2013 received royal assent on 25th April 2013.

The Electronic Communications Code (Conditions & Restrictions) (Ammendment) Regulations 2013 [SI 2013 No. 1403] came into force on 27th June 2013

---------------------------------------------------------------
Andrews & Arnold BTW ADSL2+
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Oct-13 23:17:43
Print Post

[re: charles1] [link to this post]

If the clauses are in there and passed I must have missed them.

Did dcms not announce anything?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 01:00:25
Print Post

[re: charles1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by charles1:
The Growth & Infrastructure Act 2013 received royal assent on 25th April 2013.

The Electronic Communications Code (Conditions & Restrictions) (Ammendment) Regulations 2013 [SI 2013 No. 1403] came into force on 27th June 2013
Correct.

You have to be careful about commencement dates of provisions in Acts of Parliament. Most provisions are not automatically active on Royal Assent, but require a minister to make a separate commencement order - you need to look near the end of the Act for the commencement provisions. There's some provisions that have been on the statute book for decades that have never been commenced.

In this case, the relevant section of the Growth and Infrastructure Act 2013 is section 9, which was commenced at Royal Assent by section 35(2) of the Act. With the Communications Act 2003 duly amended via s. 9 of the 2013 Act, The Electronic Communications Code (Conditions and Restrictions) (Amendment) Regulations 2013 (SI 2013/1403) were made and came into force from 27 June 2013. As is often the case with amendments, the Explanatory Note at the end makes more sense than the authoritative text.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Fri 18-Oct-13 05:19:51
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Also, there are things that aren't normally considered with regards to planning permission/red tape, etc - sometimes the town/village/hamlet/whatever council can delay (but not have the final say, as far as I'm aware) the district council's decision to immediately grant permission. I think the most likely cause of this is when someone who lives very close to the proposed FTTC cabinet raises an objection because it infringes either on their land, their view out of the living room window, or whatever else. The situation could be further complicated if a homeowner bought theiir house with the understanding that the BT PCP was sited in their garden, but now that BT/OR want to put an FTTC cab right next to it, they might object... resulting in BT/OR working out an alternative location acros the road, and going through all the necessary red tape again.

None of the above should affect whether BT/OR can ultimately give a PCP its FTTC twin, but as has been documented well on here, it can mean pretty hefty delays if the local councils take a while to discuss things, and of course by the time that they have, BT/OR may be in the middle of installing cabinets nearby because they've temporarily shelved that particular FTTC cab's installation, and they want to get on with things wherever they possibly can.

It's a shame people get all NIMBY-ish about the installation of things which they have no idea about the size or nature of. I remember the transcript of that question in parliament, where a lot of the important people involved in making the decisions simply asked whether an FTTC cabinet was the size of an old(er) red telephone box,
Standard User charles1
(learned) Fri 18-Oct-13 08:24:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Did dcms not announce anything?

I didn't see an announcement from DCMS, or elsewhere. I found out when I was researching the planning regs situation, as my FTTC cab was rejected first time round in early 2013 (conservation area).

According to Roadworks.org my FTTC cab now seems to be going ahead (80m from original position, but still in conservation area) - whether this is due to the new provisions, or by separate agreement with the council as a result of the orginal applcation, I know not.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Andrews & Arnold BTW ADSL2+
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 18-Oct-13 10:52:34
Print Post

[re: colic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by colic:
Ah well, think I am just going to pay my sister to have BT infinity and go round hers (she lives 200 yards away)

Can your roof see her roof ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 20:06:19
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
In reply to a post by colic:
Ah well, think I am just going to pay my sister to have BT infinity and go round hers (she lives 200 yards away)

Can your roof see her roof ?

No I live in a bit of a gully is the best way I can describe surrounded by some tall buildings. So I get little mobile signal as well as 2mbps down 0.35 up broadband haha!

I don't really care about the download speed it is the upload speed I need to upload the youtube video's I make, torture on 0.35 up!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to