General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User utopia70
(newbie) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:03:53
Print Post

Fiber Optic

[link to this post]

I need Fiber Optic my internet runs at 2.5 megs and theirs no fiber optic box near my home, so i am posting this to see if any other people feel that they need better internet service from BT and that BT provides some homes with fiber optic if needed!!!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-Oct-13 22:19:42
Print Post

Re: Fiber Optic

[re: utopia70] [link to this post]

There are a lot of people will happily have your 2.5Mbps if it's no use to you smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Oct-13 23:20:50
Print Post

Are you asking whether bt will give you a full fibre connection instead of via a cabinet? Yes but only if you pay the high install fee wnen fibre on demand is rolled out.

Are you sure there is no cabinet within a km of you ?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Oct-13 00:30:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It would be a 60pc boost here. May be able to do 480p smoothly while someone else browses or 2 360p streams simultaneously.

Would make a big difference.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 01:35:33
Print Post

BT Openreach provide Fibre to the Cabinet to some homes and Fibre to the Premises to some others. The roll-out of these services is in two phases.

The phase that BT Openreach are funding themselves, called the commercial roll-out, has almost finished and the final areas have already been announced. BT Openreach paid little if any account to expressions of interest in this process - they installed wherever they felt they'd get the best return on investment.

The second phase is where BT Openreach are rolling out with some public money via the Broadband Delivery UK projects. These contracts are awarded on an area by area basis, with the available funding being targeted to maximum effect. Part of BDUK is a minimum service obligation of 2 Mbit/s, but your connection already exceeds this. It's possible that you will not receive FTTx from this phase, either.

The only expressions of interest that BT Openreach will listen to are those accompanied by a commitment to provide a substantial sum of money. It seems they typically want £30,000 to add a cabinet to their FTTC roll-out programme.

FTTP On Demand is limited to areas where FTTC is already available. If it remains at its current pricing when fully launched, it will remain a niche product.

The harsh reality is that fibre roll-out is expensive, and it is uneconomic to cover everywhere.

Print Thread

Jump to