General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ayrshiredude
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-13 00:14:37
Print Post

FTTC and direct exchange connection

[link to this post]

Hi

I think my home is directly connected to the local exchange, its about half a mile away if that, The exchange is enabled for FTTC but as I am not connected to a cabinet what happens? Will I be able to get fibre?

Thanks for your advice
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Oct-13 00:16:55
Print Post

Re: FTTC and direct exchange connection

[re: ayrshiredude] [link to this post]

You need a cabinet for FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) but not for FTTP (fibre to the premises).
You can check availability here: www.dslchecker.bt.com

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Oct-13 10:16:14
Print Post

There have been some reports of some exchange only lines having cabinets installed and then the fibre twin. So there is hope, but of course how likely your line being done is unknown.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Oct-13 10:51:44
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Where the exchange is part of a BDUK project the change of EO being converted to cabinet based appears to be a lot higher and is often the only way to meet the 90% or higher figures at superfast speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ayrshiredude
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-13 18:23:41
Print Post

Well had a look at the phone number checker and didn't show anything higher than ADSL+ however have looked at other people I know who are on the same exchange and they can get FTTC up to 60 mbps. Is there anyway to find out what I am connected to for sure and what possibilities there will likely me in the future?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Oct-13 18:25:30
Print Post

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

if that checker does not show a cabinet number when checking via phone number you are an EO line and it is a case of waiting to see what happens with EO lines in your area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to