General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User junkster
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-13 18:12:24
Print Post

West Malling cabinet getting FTTC or can I switch Cabinets?

[link to this post]

Hello all, I had a read through the forum and dont think this cabinet has been discussed yet so I'm hoping someone here may be able to offer some guidance.

I live in a new estate called Kings Hill and the wholesale checker suggests I am on Cabinet 45 for the West Malling exchange. West Malling exchange does serve FTTC to a number of cabinets in Kings Hill but not 45 at present. It seems that BT did FTTC some and then stopped. Long shot but does anyone have access to information on when / if FTTC may be completed to Cab 45? Or guidance on how I may find out? Speaking with BT they couldnt share any info.

Appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Alternatively.. When we moved here a few years ago (new build) there were apparently a couple of cabinets they could have connected me to. All the cables run underground to cabinets but I guess they could in theory connect me to a different cabinet if I could persuade them, perhaps one with FTTC? Is this something they have done before for anyone on here? Happy to pay if cost effective long term.

Thanks a lot
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Oct-13 18:21:19
Print Post

Re: West Malling cabinet getting FTTC or can I switch Cabine

[re: junkster] [link to this post]

Kings Hill got VFast fixed wireless
http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&...

This means the council has spent one chunk of money getting fixed wireless to the area and thus its unlikely you will see council funding for the cabinet.

http://www.vfast.co.uk/packages/

In terms of persuading BT, only a big sum of money to pay for a network rearrangement would fix that problem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User junkster
(newbie) Wed 23-Oct-13 18:33:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks, yes we have vfast and call flow. These can range from 5-10Mbps in reality and both suffer from local power outages due to lack of redundancy. Ultimately Infinity would offer greater redundancy and speed at similar cost. I am curious why it was delpoyed to some but not all cabinets. I didnt realise the council paid for this stuff

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Oct-13 18:50:29
Print Post

West Malling was part of the commercial Openreach roll-out.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4785-avanti-and-v... and the newer project http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5753-kent-county-... which may see more cabinets enabled but all depends on what speeds Kent CC want to deliver in the area.

10 Mbps is well beyond the 2 Mbps USC and thus may prefer to spend money to improve things in other parts of County.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Wed 23-Oct-13 19:57:13
Print Post

You could try emailing broadband at kent.gov.uk for more info.

I got an estimated go live date for my exchange (Hawkinge), which is part of the BDUK rollout, from that address.

There is supposed to be a further update from KCC in the autumn which should provide more info on which areas are being done and when.

In Hawkinge they are upgrading all the cabinets, even the one around 100m from the exchange so I wouldn't rule out yours being part of the infill.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Thu 24-Oct-13 00:31:03
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Kent CC are due to publish details of their BDUK plans in the near future. In the past I have seen promises (aims!) that all cabinets will get FTTC.

Michael Chare
Standard User junkster
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 08:57:35
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Thanks guys, thats helpful info.
  Print Thread

Jump to