General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garethr
(member) Wed 23-Oct-13 23:52:23
Print Post

FTTP Availability Data Problems CONFIRMED

[link to this post]

Hi,

A number of people have now managed to prove the data provided by the BT checker both to consumers and service providers is providing inaccurate information for FTTP trial areas is Milton Keynes.

The FTTP deployment in MK covers some 10,000 homes but take-up has been modest. This is simply because consumers are UNABLE to order the service due to inaccurate information provided by the checker.

The problem is further exasperated by the fact that many service providers (including BT retail) won't progress orders unless the checker confirms the service is available AFAIK.

Two service providers (who are known to be quite helpful) managed to escalate the problem (one wasn't totally convinced by the idea) and get properties added to the checker.

I don't know if this impacts FTTP in general or is specific to the trial area. We have had a hint from a source that the problem also impacts FTTC connected properties but we've seen no evidence of this so far.

Does anyone have thought on how to escalate this short of talking to Ofcom. We have a concern that the same inaccurate data has been used to define the BDUK funding requirements - however we have raised this concerned with our local project via our local rep.

The problem has already be brought to the attention of the appropriate Openreach director who denied there was a problem.

Regards,

Gareth

Gareth
BT Internet 21CN ADSL 1.4Mbps/400Kbps
BT Infinity FTTP 166Mbps/20Mbps soon
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Oct-13 00:16:08
Print Post

Re: FTTP Availability Data Problems CONFIRMED

[re: garethr] [link to this post]

The checker is provided by BT Wholesale. I think they would be a good place to start.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Oct-13 10:27:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Ran by BT Wholesale but FTTP availability is provided to wholesale by Openreach who should know as they stick it in the ground

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Oct-13 10:32:06
Print Post

Ideally it should come from one of the providers, as they are in a position to act collectively.
By the way the trials for FTTP ended a while ago now, it is an active real product now.

Ofcom probably as much use a chocolate teacup to be honest, it needs Openreach to take on board the data and then go out and manually visit and check the infrastructure in the ground.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Oct-13 11:28:55
Print Post

Just as well virtually all of the rest of the country either have FTTC which doesn't appear affected or as yet nothing.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Oct-13 13:47:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by garethr:
We have had a hint from a source that the problem also impacts FTTC connected properties but we've seen no evidence of this so far.

Last year I helped quite a few posters on here who couldn't get FTTC yet they were sure their cabinet was enabled. After some research I would compile a list of properties on the same cabinet that could order FTTC, proving the cabinet was live.

They then used this info to try to get FFTC, quite a few came back to say they could now order and the checker did now show FTTC available for them.

Also when mapping our cabinets, I would often find a postcode which was apparently connected to a cabinet the other side of two, which just didn't make sense, this I also found quite common when looking at other areas.

Given the size of BT's database there are bound to be errors, but I don't think there was a proper procedure for engineers to report these errors - I did ask, but can't remember the specific reply.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Oct-13 13:49:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by garethr:
The FTTP deployment in MK covers some 10,000 homes but take-up has been modest. This is simply because consumers are UNABLE to order the service due to inaccurate information provided by the checker.

To be fair at least some of this is likely to be related to the lack of ISP support for FTTP. It's pretty much BT or nothing.

What is the take up, and how does it rate compared to the take up of FTTC elsewhere in the country? That could also be considered as 'modest' even with the amount of ISP support and advertising.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 14:00:09
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
To be fair at least some of this is likely to be related to the lack of ISP support for FTTP. It's pretty much BT or nothing.

Indeed.

There was one user on PlusNet's forum this week complaining of slow ADSL speeds and posting screenshots of the BT Checker with what he expected. The BT Checker said FTTP was available to him, but no one told him about FTTP from PlusNet.
Standard User AndyHCZ
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 14:11:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Ideally it should come from one of the providers, as they are in a position to act collectively.

The main provider is BT Retail, but you have more chance of winning the lottery than being able to get them to fix the issue. All they do when you ring them is put your number/address into a checker and say whether you can or cannot order FTTP.

My new neighbour tried for 2 weeks to get fibre with BT Infinity and they kept telling him he could only get ADSL. He even gave them mine/another neighbours address to prove our road had FTTP. The woman at Infinity said it was strange how neighbours could get it but there was nothing she could do for him.

I and other people at MKBAG intervened and less than a week later, the checker was updated. Ironically he placed his order with Infinity for 330/20Mb and it's being installed next Weds.

AAISP/Plusnet/Zen are the proactive FTTP ISPs. But how many people realise they either offer FTTP or have even heard of them? PlusNet are still trialling it (even though it is a commercially launched product) and to get it with them you have to know to go to the trial portal page. Zen I don't think even offer it rolled out yet. AAISP do sell it as a full product, but it's not the easiest to find and their pricing will be confusing for the average user.

Someone should also be putting pressure on Sky/TalkTalk. Even if they do not want to offer speeds in excess of what they provide for FTTC, it should be easy for them to sell the 80/20Mb FTTP.
Standard User shabbaranks
(newbie) Tue 17-Dec-13 12:35:34
Print Post

Im glad Im not the only one experiencing this problem. I have been onto BT for months now trying to prove that the checker and the information which Openreach have is incorrect - but its an extremely painful process which at the moment Im not winning.

Ive sent pictures of two units which are terraced, based on their phone numbers and the checker. One can get FTTP and the other cant?!

Now I know they both can and so can the other units on the estate because I spoke to the Openreach engineer commissioning an install the other day. Both BT and Openreach are useless. Unfortunately it would seem if Openreach told BT that the world was square BT would quite happily believe this and inform their customers also. Also reading a PC magazine the last 3 monthly editions have articles about BT being useless. SO why do they keep getting away with it?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to