General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Deadringers
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 05:40:55
Print Post

FTTC install - Filters and no faceplate

[link to this post]

Hi all,

The engineer who came along to do my install had a faceplate but didn't install it.

This was due to my socket not being the right size (it's a double as it also has tv aerial on the other half).

Therefore he just installed the service with a filter.

Can someone advise if this is okay or do I really need to get BT back and put a faceplate on there?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Oct-13 06:59:20
Print Post

Re: FTTC install - Filters and no faceplate

[re: Deadringers] [link to this post]

No, I'm sorry, but you have been stiffed there. Ring up the ISP you ordered it through and raise a complaint.

Standard User eddie1150
(member) Thu 24-Oct-13 08:51:16
Print Post

As above,
That socket isnt/shouldnt be your master, so youve been done on this occasion frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:22:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

It could be that the OP or previous occupier had taken the master off and replaced it with an aftermarket master module in a twin gang back box with capacity for 4 modules on the front plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:23:37
Print Post

Can you provide a picture of the front and rear of the Master, along with the TV aerial socket.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:24:39
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Could he have one of those modular things we saw a few of a few years ago in new builds? Nothing like an Openreach NTE5 and hugely messy to replace, in that a smart décor would be ruined, as well as TV and possibly power also needing replacement?

They were MK ones like this, but a google for modular telephone sockets found several, this being one, and here's a Clarity one.

Edit - also what is done about external NTE5s?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Oct-13 09:27:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:26:27
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Snap, except I believe some new builds have them as original equipment. Openreach wouldn't even have seen them when connecting the premises to the network.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:33:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe but the original requirement were for a "separate" Master provision and that type of multi-service provision was excluded. If it is, the the OP has no reason for a complaint and he will need to take action to resolve it. It could be that there are two modules in a single back box - how could a master faceplate be installed on one of those without losing the aerial connection?

Solution is simple. Remove faceplate and modules (leaving master connected). Remove backbox, and replace with a TWIN (not dual). Obtain two single facpelates. Install Phone Master in one, TV aerial in the other.

Contact BT and get them to come and install the master to one side of the twin backbox.

M H C

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:39:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The OP isn't complaining. Just asked if it is OK. Answer, yes as long as happy with the look of the dangly filter smile.

I accept it isn't a pukka Openreach installation, but if it works, does it matter? We will meet far worse soon tongue.

The OP's other option at the time was to abort the installation, possibly incurring a £100+ charge, until the work you described, (which may not be feasible), had been carried out. There is no way an OR engineer would have done a satisfactory job with a fully recessed NTE5 socket.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Oct-13 09:44:03)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 09:48:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The comment about complaint was is response to Zarjaz's post.

As for whether it is OK - what about any extensions - either known and used or just there connected to the master. I have seen one - unused, where teh cable to it was almost 100m long and there was a great notch in the graph showing bit loading.

Cannot see any reason why an OR Tech would not do a good job on a recessed back box.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to