General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Thu 24-Oct-13 14:26:21
Print Post

FTTC - TT or Plusnet

[link to this post]

Those familiar with my recent posts will know I am considering moving my FTTC service from BT to another provider due to cost. Was thinking of TT but have discovered I also have the choice of Plusnet. Any objective advice? Plusnet CS informed me they would simply 'take over' the existing line with no changes needed. Would this be different to TT? As cost of TT vs Plusnet are similar would TT (having LLU) give a better/similar speed or are LLU services not related to FTTC?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Oct-13 15:39:25
Print Post

Re: FTTC - TT or Plusnet

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

Are you meaning FTTC and line to PlusNet? With them you have the option to leave your line with BT, but your FTTC installation is charged and IIRC monthly FTTC is also higher.

When they say they would take over the line with no changes needed, that probably refers to what I said elsewhere about the exchange changes to go to TT. Those are not needed for a move to PlusNet of FTTC or both, as you are currently fed from BT Wholesale kit. The difference is just in software settings that route your broadband from there to PlusNet systems rather than BT Retail's. Both BT Retail and PlusNet use BT Wholesale.

There is a relationship between FTTC and ADSL2+ LLU in that the fibre from the cabinet is fed at the exchange into either a BT Wholesale MSAN for non-LLU, or a TalkTalk LLU one on their service. You therefore experience any congestion or controls that may exist within their respective backhauls from the exchange, internal routing, and connections out to the wider internet.

Unlike ADSL2+, on FTTC neither TalkTalk nor BT Wholesale have any meaningful control over your link to the exchange. For both of them that is all done by Openreach. On ADSL2x BTW and TalkTalk each have considerable control of that part of the service.

PlusNet run a traffic prioritisation system on all their packages. On the unlimited one there are no speed caps, but on the 40GB allowance one there is a period of capping of some services.

See speed controls and prioritisation advantages.

The prioritisation system is explained here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 24-Oct-13 15:40:37)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Oct-13 15:57:00
Print Post

I would recommend PN, I've been with them for ten years, yes there have been a few problems in that time, but I'm still with them. I know people who have left TT because of the terrible support.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Thu 24-Oct-13 16:41:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are you meaning FTTC and line to PlusNet?

Yes I was intending to switch phone &line rental to Plusnet. I asked how the switch over would work with them and they said they simply use the existing BT line and there would be no need for them to do anything other than to switch my 'account' to them.

I don't see any problem with the traffic management. I would be upgrading to unlimited.

Edited by Speedchaser (Thu 24-Oct-13 16:44:11)

(regular) Thu 24-Oct-13 16:51:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There is a relationship between FTTC and ADSL2+ LLU in that the fibre from the cabinet is fed at the exchange into either a BT Wholesale MSAN for non-LLU, or a TalkTalk LLU one on their service. You therefore experience any congestion or controls that may exist within their respective backhauls from the exchange, internal routing, and connections out to the wider internet.

Ok so if TT have LLU at my cabinet and Plusnet do not is there any real world difference to speed on FTTC ? Ive had a non LLU service (virgin ADSL) with less than 2mps most times (different house to current). I live a long way from the cabinet so FTTC is slow 11mps. Will a non-LLU service from the cabinet be a problem?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Oct-13 18:23:13
Print Post

Its LLU from the exchange, not the cabinet.

(regular) Thu 24-Oct-13 22:35:46
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

either a BT Wholesale MSAN for non-LLU, or a TalkTalk LLU one on their service

In reply to a post by Ronski:
Its LLU from the exchange, not the cabinet.

So if I plump for Plusnet will Plusnet just use current line or would in switching Bt wholesale place me on a line lumped for all non-LLU providers and I get very bad speed slow down from cabinet FTTC to my house? Or is my thinking way off? The whole context/point of my questions are to decide between TT and Plusnet. If Plusnet is non LLU VS TT LLU - regards FTTC will there be likely to a difference in speed as a result?...just as I would expect a non-LLU service via adsl to be worse?

Edited by Speedchaser (Thu 24-Oct-13 22:39:14)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Oct-13 22:52:25
Print Post

Whoever you go with on FTTC will use exactly the same connection from the exchange to your house, so I think your thinking is way off.

With an estimate of only 11 mbps I don't think anyone's backhaul (exchange to isp) is going to slow you down.

(regular) Thu 24-Oct-13 22:58:47
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks, just trying to 'look before I leap'... into an 18month contract.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Oct-13 00:17:16
Print Post

?
Didn't I cover all this in my earlier post in this thread? Particularly what happens to the actual connection between you and the exchange in terms of changes and connection speed?

If you move to PlusNet it doesn't change at all. Only where it goes the other side of the exchange. If you move to TT it changes inside the exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Oct-13 00:22:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to