General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User baldurk
(newbie) Fri 25-Oct-13 20:44:44
Print Post

Using own FTTC router/modem?

[link to this post]

I'm thinking about going with zen internet for FTTC which just became available on my line (finally!). Usually with any ISP I've been with in the past I just set up their provided combined router + ADSL modem to just connect to the internet on the WAN and route to my own WRT54GL running a custom firmware, and I put my devices behind that. A bit redundant, but it doesn't hurt anything.

With zen it looks like they don't provide or mandate that you buy anything from them, and they just say that it's up to you to provide compatible hardware and link to their shop where you can buy one that they support.

I'm a little confused as to whether this means that they only provide a VDSL modem when the engineer comes to install things, so you'd still need a compatible router, or if they don't provide any hardware at all. Essentially does anyone know if I can just use my WRT54GL without needing to buy anything new? It currently has the tomato firmware which does support dialling PPPoE but I don't know if there's anything else required of it. I could always put DD-WRT on it if that has support instead.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious and I look like an idiot, I don't know smile.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 25-Oct-13 21:04:48
Print Post

Re: Using own FTTC router/modem?

[re: baldurk] [link to this post]

With Zen FTTC service the openreach engineer supplies a VDSL2 modem currently

In theory you can connect any Ethernet router (i.e. one with an Ethernet WAN port) so your WRT54GL if it can run the WAN/LAN routing at FTTC type speeds will probably be ok

So yes your router will probably work fine, issue is whether CPU can handle the PPPoE and the traffic volumes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Oct-13 22:50:39
Print Post

Re: Using own FTTC router/modem?

[re: baldurk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baldurk:
Essentially does anyone know if I can just use my WRT54GL without needing to buy anything new? It currently has the tomato firmware which does support dialling PPPoE but I don't know if there's anything else required of it. I could always put DD-WRT on it if that has support instead.

Yes but a router of that vintage will not give you anywhere near the high speeds FTTC is capable of, see here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-rev...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to