General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Oct-13 13:09:08
Print Post

results of PPPoE disconnects - self induced?

[link to this post]

Having just got fttc connection with the (white)blackbox* that I can't see or monitor, does disconnecting my router with the PPPoE connection affect the dsl signal, i.e. will it cause/can it cause a re-sync on the modem?

Nick
* it's locked down
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 27-Oct-13 13:48:53
Print Post

Re: results of PPPoE disconnects - self induced?

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

No.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 27-Oct-13 14:47:17
Print Post

doesn't directly affect the signal, does send upstream the current DSL speed data.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Oct-13 15:20:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lethe:
Having just got fttc connection with the (white)blackbox* that I can't see or monitor, does disconnecting my router with the PPPoE connection affect the dsl signal, i.e. will it cause/can it cause a re-sync on the modem?

Nick
* it's locked down
Doesn't affect the connection but does cause some monitoring parameters to be updated. As a result when you establish the next PPP session you might get a higher speed. Doesn't happen often but sometimes a PPP session survives a re-sync. If the DSL speed afterward is higher your session will retain the old limits leaving your PPP session underutilising the available bandwidth. In that scenario properly closing and reopening a session would get the correct speed limits.

I don't know if the reverse can happen. Not that you could benefit - if your sync is 50Mb/s and your session is 60Mb/s you can still only get 50Mb/s. That may never be possible though as I'd assume something would spot that you were trying to squirt too much down the connection.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 27-Oct-13 15:25:22)

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sun 27-Oct-13 17:14:32
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Exactly as billford says, no.
and whoops, sorry for the duplication with Andrue: I forgot to press the Enter button ....

There are cases where it is necessary to reset the router (best done by disconnect/reconnect in the web interface).
The IP profile is meant to track the sync speed, which happens on PPPoE connect.
Often a modem loss of sync will force a PPPoE disconnect, and then an automatic reconnect when sync is restablished will update the IP profile.
Sometimes however the modem loses and reestablished sync without the PPPoE connection noticing,
and in this case the IP profile can get out of date.
If it is too high you won't get extra speed as you will be limited by the sync; if IP profile is too low it will unnecessarily throttle your speed.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Sun 27-Oct-13 17:15:52)

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Oct-13 19:15:27
Print Post

OK, thanks people that replied - explains a lot. Luckily the notorious bob os didn't stick his (or her) oar in, so all is well.

Nick
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 27-Oct-13 19:38:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lethe:

Nick
* it's locked down
it might do if you disrupt the electrical connections on the modem.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to