General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:22:45
Print Post

DSL reboot

[link to this post]

On 80/20 FTTC from ZEN. The OR modem supplies the service to a Draytek 2820Vm.

As far as I can tell all is fine:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

But have a look at http://www.cyberpictures.net/tb/log.jpg
Are all these DSL reboots normal?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Oct-13 13:29:59
Print Post

Re: DSL reboot

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

The draytek is presented with an Ethernet service to its WAN port, so why it is reporting DSL rebooting is not clear.

All the VDSL side of things is handled by the Openreach modem.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:08:57
Print Post

What is connected to the WAN1 socket, and is it configured to be a LAN port? Is the ADSL modem disabled?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Oct-13 14:11:20)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:28:03
Print Post

It looks like the ADSL modem - which presumably is disconnected and not in use - is resetting itself approximately every 120s.

Standard User trolleybus
(member) Mon 28-Oct-13 14:49:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What is connected to the WAN1 socket, and is it configured to be a LAN port? Is the ADSL modem disabled?

I am prepared to concede that I might not have configured the 2820Vn correctly and have therefore made several screen dumps available at http://www.cyberpictures.net/tb to aid diagnostics and hopefully feed back of what needs to be changed.

Nothing is connected to the DSL socket.

I have not bothered to blank out my former ADSL service details because that account is now closed.

I was totally unaware that the DSL socket could be configured as a LAN port but even if that was so, it won't accept a RJ45 plug!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Oct-13 19:09:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
I was totally unaware that the DSL socket could be configured as a LAN port but even if that was so, it won't accept a RJ45 plug!

RobertoS didn't mean the DSL socket, but the WAN socket which is connecting to your VDSL modem *can* be swapped to a LAN port.

Your config looks good to me - I would ask on the draytek.co.uk forum too.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 20:26:42
Print Post

I am prepared to concede that I might not have configured the 2820Vn correctly and have therefore made several screen dumps available at http://www.cyberpictures.net/tb to aid diagnostics and hopefully feed back of what needs to be changed.
I'd be inclined to disable both the PVCs on this screen to see if that silences the DSL reboot message.

If that doesn't work, I'd re-enable WAN 1 on this screen, change the "Active mode" setting to the one nearest to Off that you have, and disable WAN 1 again.

If that doesn't work, I'd check everything is disabled in the MPoA tab on this screen.

It would be interesting to know which of these (if any) works, not that I'm ever likely to use a Draytek router.

It can't. You have two WAN ports - WAN 1 is an ADSL modem, and WAN 2 is an Ethernet WAN port.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 23:22:20
Print Post

I have not bothered to blank out my former ADSL service details because that account is now closed.
That's one of the things I was getting at smile. See what happens if you remove them. Also disable the ADSL modem if it lets you.

It may be irrelevant, or their presence could be causing it, as David said earlier. It is designed for dual input and load balancing, so could be trying to connect ADSL through a modem on WAN1 because the details are there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 28-Oct-13 23:25:33)

Print Thread

Jump to