General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mac_d
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:32:06
Print Post

FTTC or stick with ADSL?

[link to this post]

FTTC is now available in my area so I'm thinking of trying BT Infinity. However, as I don't really stream or download that much but play games online, is FTTC my best option or should I look for another ADSL service that offers me up to 16MB and allows me to use a gaming profile?

Is FTTC more reliable in general?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:35:19
Print Post

Re: FTTC or stick with ADSL?

[re: mac_d] [link to this post]

What do you mean by a gaming profile?

Biggest question is what speeds do you get form ADSL2+ now, and what is the estimate for FTTC?

Next generation consoles are moving to more content in the cloud or via downloads, so faster connections will make gaming easier. Or put another way as texture packs get more detailed they are bigger downloads.

In terms of reliability, the removal of a couple of kilometre of copper tends to help reliability, but there are no guarantees of course.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mac_d
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:46:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well I'm with Be currently because they can put me on fastpath to reduce my pings (normally 30-35, but on gaming mode it's 20). My speed is 14mb down and 1 up. I#d be happy enough to continue with that, but obviously Be and their LLU network option will be gone in a few months time, so I don't have that option.

The estimate I get for FTTC is 60Mb but I'd probably just get the the up to 38Mb option (I presume I'd maybe get 30Mb at best in that case).

I'm ruling out Sky because I don't want to change my landline away from BT, and apart from the option of getting BT Sport, no other packages interest me.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 14:48:16
Print Post

FTTC pings tend to be lower anyway. Mine on standard connection with BT Infinity is averaging about 8ms - no special settings.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 29-Oct-13 15:12:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by mac_d:
The estimate I get for FTTC is 60Mb but I'd probably just get the the up to 38Mb option (I presume I'd maybe get 30Mb at best in that case).

If you went for a 38Mb capped option on a line capable of 60Mb then you should get 38Mb (or thereabouts).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 16:05:47
Print Post

The BTW checker estimates can be and are often wrong so take with a pimch of salt

For my understanding with FFTC the ISP has the choice of 3 options at the time of order, that can play a part in latency indirectly, As once activated FFTC usually will start off on fast path and syncing at the highest it can ,

And stays like that unless DLM takes action,

But as to how low your base latency is, can be down to how the connections from exchanges to the ISP's handover points are routed, level of utilisation ect, as well as where in the uk you are geographically ,
And latency to remote severs will be depenant on your ISP and it's routing ,& peering used on top of what your base latency is

I know that the lowest i probably can get is 12-13ms base latency (fast path ) But i have known that to be higher with BE retail was 20ms wholesale 27-28ms to 1st visible hop after router

Edited by tommy45 (Tue 29-Oct-13 16:09:02)

Standard User mac_d
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 16:47:43
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Ok cheers I was under the impression that pings weren't necessarily any better, and at times worse, on FTTC. Good also to know that if my line is capable of 60Mb (even if the checker isn't totally accurate) I should get fairly close to the max available on a 38Mb option.

With various ISPs on different ADSL packages (fixed 2Mb, ADSL up to 8Mb and LLU ADSL+ up to 16Mb) my ping has always been 30-45. It's only ever been with Be that I've been able to tick the gaming mode to tweak the settings to give me a ping of 20-25 and I've enjoyed the difference it makes.

I suppose the price of FTTC with BT isn't much different from what I pay Be at the moment, so switching to FTTC should really be a bit of a no-brainer?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:03:16
Print Post

Go for it! smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:25:03
Print Post

Another possible advantage of going for the capped 40 Mb product with your higher estimate should be the reduced likely hood that you will have interleaving applied at some point.

I think this has been the main cause of grumbles about high latency on FTTC.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Oct-13 17:38:37
Print Post

ASDL issues such as drop outs high error rates can be down to the E'side rather than the normally shorter D'side ,FTTC bypasses the E'side for data as its Fibre from exchange to the dslam in the Street cab, So some who have chosen FTTC over ADSL have seen a more reliable service as a result, But as said no guarantees
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to