General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Speedchaser
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 19:16:53
Print Post

200mps or 500mps Homeplugs

[link to this post]

This thread is in response to another but I don't want to keep bumping others threads. On a slow FTTC connection 11mps, is there any benifit in having 500mps homeplugs vs 200mps? Only three computers at max on at any time. What if online tv was thrown into the mix?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Oct-13 19:34:34
Print Post

Re: 200mps or 500mps Homeplugs

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

I wouldn't think so. Let's see what people using homeplugs say. (I'm thinking of getting a couple actually, though a better router/WAP may be a better idea for me for other reasons).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User spongebobhims
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 19:53:04
Print Post

The benefit would be minimal with a speed like that to be honest unless your transferring massive files PC to PC 200 mbps would be fine.

I have multiple NAS drives and transfer a lot so have some TP - Link 500 mbps homeplugs and they are fantastic. The 200 mbps versions that they do I have also used and they are very good.

Hope this helps.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 19:55:00
Print Post

At 11Mbps I think there's little advantage of home plugs vs wireless. WiFi can easily give 11Mbps usually and it's likely to be much cheaper (assuming the router you currently have has wireless N). If it's out of range I would use home plugs only where they are needed e.g. where WiFi doesn't get too. Even then I would probably setup a 2nd access point. Food for thought?

That said get the 200 Mbps ones.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 21:12:24
Print Post

I'm using the Devolo 200 range.

In my house I have 2 independent Ring-Main ccts. Interconnection between devices on the same Ring significantly exceeds 100M (anything up to 130M), whereas interconnection between devices on the different Rings gives a connection exceeding 80M.

I'm on a ADSL2+ connection of 19M, hence these connections are virtually transparent.

Even if I was to upgrade to an 80M Fibre, I'm not certain that I would think it necessary to upgrade these to the Devolo 500 type!

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Oct-13 21:16:17
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de...

Compares 200 and 500 meg units for you all

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 29-Oct-13 21:54:37
Print Post

Reading all the other replies, it is obvious really.

The only difference you will get will be on your local (home) network if all devices have a GB network card/device to get speeds of 500mps - but having said that, in real life you wouldn't really notice the difference anyway as it is all so fast even on 100mps.

And Internet is 11? Well, even here a 50 would be OTT (if they exist).

Nick
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Oct-13 22:56:04
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Lethe:
The only difference you will get will be on your local (home) network if all devices have a GB network card/device to get speeds of 500mps - but having said that, in real life you wouldn't really notice the difference anyway as it is all so fast even on 100mps.

True, if you get 500megabit/sec. HomePlug is not comparable to Ethernet, its speeds are similar to 802.11 WiFi.

On G wifi which has an advertised speed of 54megabit/sec, you can in perfect conditions get around 22megabit/sec data transfer rate. ie, nowhere near 54. Same is true for Homeplug.

Many HomePlug 500 devices have only a 100megabit ethernet interface port, so will never achieve any faster throughput than 100megabit of 'ethernet' speed.

However the 500 protocol is better over the mains wiring when you have to cross between ring mains, e.g. between floors, than the 200 and the earlier standards. So I would always recommend 500 protocol, even if the LAN interface is 100megabit. You're more likely to get higher throughput.

As always test yourself, and don't rely on benchmarks, even on the same ring main.

500 devices can also act as repeaters, so a single 500 device in the front room connected to a games console or Sky+HD box can improve the connection from the office (where the broadband router is) through to upstairs - in at least two installations I'm aware of.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 22:58:10
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies. I do currently use 200mps Tp-link homeplugs with little to no drop from wired line to router. That in itself probably answers my own question but as I was going to get a second set for tv & another computer I'd thought I ask.
(regular) Tue 29-Oct-13 23:01:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

What about mixing. eg x2 500mps with x2 200mps homeplugs. If a 500mps was attached to the router would this help boost the 200mps at the other end?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to