General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User agriffiths73
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-13 14:20:37
Print Post

Openreach/PlusNet/BT service disparities

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently moved from a rented house in Napton, Warwickshire, where I had FTTC service delivered via PlusNet. All worked fine, then I let them know I was moving, and it all went wrong.

To spare you all from the whole story, essentially, despite being connected to the same cabinet, checked via multiple sources to be exactly the same cabinet, and being closer to it by approx half a mile, with a fairly direct route to the cabinet, and having a line to the house that was only installed approx 5 years ago, I cannot get FTTC.

The house next to me can, via another cabinet, that they are further away from than I am from mine (Cabinet 4, A423 connecting to Southam exchange - SOUC/SOUC/SLY/CM-SOUC) the houses between me and the cabinet can, but I can't.

We also have three BT poles on the property, and our immediate neighbour had a new line installed last year - they can have it, and this line comes across the poles in our field, yet we can't get FTTC.

The cabinet is 85% allocated, and the subscription rate where we are is pretty high, as is demand, but OR don't seem to have this on their list of sites to address.

Is there a way that this can be brought to their attention and have them explain why, despite all of the above, our house cannot get FTTC, when we connect to the same cabinet to those that can?

Yours, frustrated of Stockton.

Better off on dialup
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Oct-13 14:51:01
Print Post

Re: Openreach/PlusNet/BT service disparities

[re: agriffiths73] [link to this post]

What does

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

list in terms of services for your telephone number? Did you get a new number or move the number when you moved? There can be delays in databases updating which are usually a week or two long.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 30-Oct-13 15:51:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Apologies for the loss of format - this is what it says:

Telephone Number 01926812*** on Exchange SOUTHAM is served by Cabinet 4
Available Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.25 to 2 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Better off on dialup

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Oct-13 16:33:22
Print Post

[re: agriffiths73] [link to this post]

Text
Telephone Number 01926812AAA on Exchange SOUTHAM is served by Cabinet 4 
WBC FTTC Up to 23.3 Up to 5.6 -- Available WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 6.5 Available 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 6.5 Available ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 3.5 Available 
WBC Fixed Rate  0.5  -- -- Available Fixed Rate  0.5  -- -- Available 
Other Offerings FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available 
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Certainly looks like others on the same cabinet can order. So question is how soon since you moved in, and did you take the telephone number with you. i.e. is the number still in the time frame where the database may be updating still.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Oct-13 17:30:44
Print Post

Strangely - the poster's result shows FTTPoD available. crazy?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Oct-13 18:41:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That is because Southam is an area where Fibre on Demand can be ordered

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 30-Oct-13 19:39:21
Print Post

Yes, but the rule (in practice) appears to be that you have to be able to get FTTC in order to have FTTPoD available. So perhaps the OP could ask at nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk if something is wrong with their database?

Or maybe to BTW through his (chosen) ISP, because it looks to be the BTW database that is screwed up?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Oct-13 19:44:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hence why I asked how long after the move are we, as if its still in the first week it is sit it out and let databases update.

After that yes its chase the usual ISP and then nga to get databases prodded.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Oct-13 22:24:21
Print Post

I wonder what the address checker says. That shouldn't need any time to update.

(newbie) Thu 31-Oct-13 16:12:39
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

We moved in mid September, and took over the number at the property, that has been there since time began. The address checker says the same thing. Interestingly enough, speaking to a fe sources, the cab is 85% allocated (fibre ports), PlusNet SHOULD have asked OR to provision from address one to address two, which would have been a simple repatch, but they ordered ADSL instead of FTTC - perhaps because the DB at the time showed no FTTC at that address/number - so technically, I lost my port.

Seeing FoD does beg the question, as they will run from the cabinet, clearly not all the way back to the exchange. It does appear that PlusNet has used up all their allocation at the cab and are now waiting for OR to increase capacity there, but have no timescales, and all the while, each time they check the BTWS DB, it will still tell them that that address doesn't have FTTC available. Much as I'd like my own dedicated 330Mbp/s connection, I think an install cost of over £10K may be a little excessive.

So - why would the number and address checker state that I can't get FTTC, when clearly others on the same cab, including my old house, can??

Better off on dialup
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to