General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User timh
(newbie) Tue 05-Nov-13 17:56:30
Print Post

BT say I can get fibre - but street cabinet not yet upgraded

[link to this post]

The BT checker now says I can receive FTTC broadband, however having just driven past the cabinet (about 1km away), it is still the old style one. I'm 99.99% certain I'm looking at the correct cabinet (it says P37 Herne Bay exchange - which matches what the various checker sites and ISP's say I'm connected to). Having called my current ISP they confirmed the information was correct, although I'm sure this all comes from BT anyhow. I'm just concerned about ordering fibre and then finding I can't actually get it yet, and ending up in an awkward position (especially as I may change ISP's as part of this process).

So is it possible that BT have made a mistake, or that an existing street cabinet can be upgraded, or maybe they are actually due to upgrade the cabinet in the coming days/weeks?

Any advice gratefully received.

Tim.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:11:53
Print Post

Re: BT say I can get fibre - but street cabinet not yet upgr

[re: timh] [link to this post]

The FTTC cabinet can be up to 100m away from the existing PCP. Often they're next to each other, but this is not always the case.

I believe the right way ahead is to place an order anyway. If the cabinet isn't upgraded, the order will be rejected and you'll stay as you are. If you intend to change ISPs, get your MAC - if you don't use it, most if not all ISPs will leave things intact.

Standard User timh
(newbie) Tue 05-Nov-13 19:38:49
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks David. I did drive around and couldn't locate a new cabinet anywhere nearby. Also found the BT planning request for the new cabinet and this listed it as adjacent to the same property as the existing cabinet.

As you say, the only way to truly find out is apply for fibre and see how it progresses.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 05-Nov-13 22:30:05
Print Post

It's an ECI cabinet so one of the smaller ones so maybe obscured, but it's within a few meters of the existing pcp
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 00:05:26
Print Post

Look over walls and behind hedges. Also up side streets round the corner. Ours is up a side street across the road from the PCP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.2/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User timh
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 12:41:20
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Just taken a drive past again and looked in lots of other places. Eventually found the new cabinet round the corner and on the other side of the road. I now feel much safer placing an order. Many thanks for your advice.
  Print Thread

Jump to