General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 11:11:42
Print Post

Moving fibre to another room - best way

[link to this post]

Hi

I've had Fibre for about 12 months now via Plusnet and the existing location for the BT modem and Thompson router is not ideal for me. I can't move the BT master socket so I'd like to relocate both the modem and router to another room. Now I have adsl and phone extension cables but I'd like to cable everything through a wall and rather than just drill a hole and thread the cable's through, I'd like to socket it if I can for a neater job. Having seen the dual ADSL\Phone wall sockets available I was wondering if I could use two of these back to back (one in one room, one in another) and wire them together somehow. Then I could run an ADSL cable from the BT master socket from plug to the extension socket plug and the same for the phone line. Then in the other room, plug in another extension lead for ADSL into the second wall socket plug and the other end into the BT modem and the same for the phone.

My difficulty is understanding if I can wire together neatly two surface mounted dual ADSL\phone sockets (with the wires connecting back to back through the wall). The sockets I am referring to are like these...
http://www.telephone-wiring.co.uk/dual-adsl-and-broa...

Alternatively, any other possibilities would be appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 11:33:11
Print Post

Re: Moving fibre to another room - best way

[re: FooManChu] [link to this post]

If you have fibre you have one of these faceplates http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

At bottom of that page it shows where you would connect extension cabling that could terminate in an extension socket.

The yellow area A/B connectors are unfiltered, so given a decent filter at the far end you could install a flush faceplate.

So you just need ADSL/Phone faceplate and some CW1308 twisted pair extension cable or ideally cat5e to ensure best VDSL performance.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 11:40:23
Print Post

Do you have a filtered faceplate fitted to the master?

Provided you do then the easiest way is to get a suitable length of Cat5e cable. Remove the lower part of the faceplate and you will see a 3 way IDC marked 2, 3, 5 and a 2 way IDC on the remaining part of the master marked A&B.

At the far end install a 2 way Euromodule faceplate with a BT phone socket and an RJ11 (or RJ45 module).

Connect the voice circuit using:

2 Bl/Wh
3 Or/Wh
5 Wh/Bl

And the VDSL using A & B with the Green pair from the cable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:35:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies so far.

I do have a BT dual faceplate with both internet and phone connections.
If I run a cable from the inside of the Master BT faceplate to another dual faceplate, will the cable have to be connected to the second dual faceplate via the back or could I add RJ11 and BT phone connectors to the cable running from the Master faceplate so I could just push these into that faceplate? Then run cable from the back of that faceplate to the back of another faceplate in another room? This would save me simply running cable through a hole in the wall.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:40:23
Print Post

Assuming you connect the cable to correct connectors inside at the master faceplate, then you would normally connect to the second dual faceplate at the back.

Running them as you suggest would be a most odd set-up. In this middle position do you need any phone/VDSL modem plugged in?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:44:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

I am planning on moving the phone as well so a dual set up is required. If I do not connect the cables in this manner, what surface or flush mounted plates are there which will tidily allow two cables to run through a wall?

So for e.g

in effect I would run a cable from the back of the Master BT faceplate and through a wall to a second dual faceplate. Rather than just push the cable through a hole I'd like to make it tidy and clean so some form of cable only faceplate is required.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:49:57
Print Post

No - that is a "cowboy" method and cable that work well with IDCs don't work well in connectors and vice versa.

Use the method I suggested and use:

Euro Module Front plate
with BT secondary and RJ11/12

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:52:16
Print Post

Maybe I am not seeing the problem, but all the dual faceplates mentioned will happily let you use cabling internal to the walls.

You seem to want

MASTER----------IN WALL---------DUAL SOCKET A ------IN WALL------DUAL SOCKET B

Where will the VDSL modem be plugged in?
Where will the phone be plugged in?

If nothing at Dual Socket A then all you need is
Blanking plate
and some Jelly Crimps to join the wiring that goes through the wall.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:56:45
Print Post

It's far from clear what you mean by 'dual set up'.

The best way to extend FTTC is to run an Ethernet extension to the router, and leave the modem where it is.

The next best way is to use high quality twisted pair cable to run a point to point extension from the unfiltered connection at the master (the two position IDC block on the interstitial filter) to an RJ11 socket, and relocate the modem. You do not want any intermediate sockets and definitely no branches in such a cable run.

There's no need to run a filtered phone extension to move the modem unless you need a phone extension there.

It would help a lot if you uploaded a sketch of the existing and desired layouts to some web space, and posted a link. Include details of any existing wiring that you wish to reuse.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-13 14:50:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Do you have a filtered faceplate fitted to the master?

Provided you do then the easiest way is to get a suitable length of Cat5e cable. Remove the lower part of the faceplate and you will see a 3 way IDC marked 2, 3, 5 and a 2 way IDC on the remaining part of the master marked A&B.

At the far end install a 2 way Euromodule faceplate with a BT phone socket and an RJ11 (or RJ45 module).

Connect the voice circuit using:

2 Bl/Wh
3 Or/Wh
5 Wh/Bl

And the VDSL using A & B with the Green pair from the cable.

We really need a sticky topic for your excellent advice since the question regarding vdsl extensions keeps appearing time and time again smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to