General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gooch570
(newbie) Fri 08-Nov-13 19:34:14
Print Post

FTTC cabinet installed but exchange not upgraded?

[link to this post]

Hi

BT have recently installed a new green cabinet next to my current telephone cabinet in hethersett. From looking at pictures of FTTc cabinets on the internet I can confirm that the cabinet BT have installed next to my telephone cabinet is an FTTC one. The cabinet looks to have been connected up to my existing PCP cabinet but does not appear to be in use as it isnt making any noise. Does this mean Fibre is coming to my area soon? It's strange because the superfast open reach website does not show my exchange as being in any of the roll out plans it isnt even marked as a "future exchange"!! It is simply marked as under evaluation. Also nothing about FTTC is shown for my line when I check it on the Openreach ADSL checker site. Why would BT install FTTC cabinets but not publisise any rollout plans? And does this mean that fibre is coming to my area any time soon? Is it normal for BT to install FTTC cabinets before updating my exchange (Hethersett) and laying fibre- I havent seen any signs of BT laying fibre in my area!? I am connected to cabinet 7 of the hethersett exchange in norfolk.

If fibre optic broadband is coming to my area how long do you think it will take before i am able to receive it?
Thanks in advance for any answers- I am really looking forward to the prospect of an improved broadband connection with FTTC.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 19:57:39
Print Post

Re: FTTC cabinet installed but exchange not upgraded?

[re: gooch570] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gooch570:
Also nothing about FTTC is shown for my line when I check it on the Openreach ADSL checker site

I was the same too. Cabinet 1-7 and 10-17 and 18-24 all had FTTC live but not cabinet 8, 9 with nothing yet.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-13 20:32:26
Print Post

It may be it is appearing as part of the county BDUK project, in which case the updates are sometimes late to reach the Openreach website.

Just a case of keep checking the FTTC availability checker each week until it finally goes live.

The cabinets on an exchange do not need to link to that exchange, they may link to a neighbour just to confuse people a little more.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Fri 08-Nov-13 20:39:05
Print Post

Gooch

The better broadband for Norfolk (BBfN) site says that parts of Hethersett have been covered from Norwich West. As the exchange is part of the BBfN controlled rollout of BDUK funds they will publicise when it will be updated. As these are council controlled websites they are not always the most upto date and sometimes Cabinets are in place before the website is updated ( or even live).

Openreach can only put it in the lists when approved by the council even if they are already working on it.

Keep an eye on the checkers and the first symptom may be FTTC arriving in the wholesaler checker for your address as coming soon with a draft speed.

If you do this once a week you will get bored the week it goes live! and miss it smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Nov-13 11:03:17
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

If your phone is on a BT Wholesale line, ie not LLU then you can use the folllowing URL to create a short cut, book mark of even a webpage watcher.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.Te...

You'll need to substitute 01234567890 for your number, and you'll need to google for a web watcher service - this will monitor a given URL and tell you when it changes, so you can sit back and wait for the email, but it will pick up every change in the page, but they don't change it too often.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sat 09-Nov-13 11:04:32)

Standard User gooch570
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 19:40:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

Thanks everyone for your replys!! I have emailed BBfN so will await there response!! Just one more question though, over the last two days I have seen Open reach vans installing cables underground around the village and very near to my cabinet. I noticed today when i checked my address on the openreach ADSL line checker that a new product called "Copper Multicast" is now showing as being availible on my line. This wasn't there a few days ago and seems to have been added since openreach have been installing cables. What is copper multicast? Does this have anything to do with FTTC? Does this mean FTTC will be availible to me soon? The checker still doesn't mention anything about FTTC though!!

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 20:53:17
Print Post

Copper multicast - nothing to do with cables in the road, just a way of broadcasting a live TV to lots of people over ADSL2+ without wasting bandwidth

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to