General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Fri 08-Nov-13 20:36:05
Print Post

Moving house - looks like i'll lose FTTC for a while?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I currently have BT infinity. We're moving house on the 22nd November to another property served by the same cabinet.I have just checked the BT wholesale availability and it shows the cabinet as full with more capacity planned on the 27th. A couple of questions:

1. Can the engineer swap my current connection at the cabinet to the new house so I wont be without FTTC?

2. How reliable are the dates on the wholesale checker? Is it likely the 27th will be kept to?

By the way, i have organised the move with BT and they didnt mention lack of capacity!

Thanks,
James
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Nov-13 20:47:08
Print Post

Re: Moving house - looks like i'll lose FTTC for a while?

[re: jparnell82] [link to this post]

1. Never seems to happen in practice

2. As reliable as a 5 day weather forecast

The retail arms of the providers don't always catch on to limited availability, or they are confident they can re-use the port. Though experience from people posting on here is that generally you need a spare new port for the line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Fri 08-Nov-13 21:07:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hmm ok, thanks for the response.
So it sounds like as people move out that ports just get left on FTTC ready for the next person then rather than being 'decommissioned'?
I dont suppose that when i arranged the move a port would have been reserved for me would it? or is that just wishful thinking?
Worst comes to the worst i'll just have to wait - Infinity is probably low on the list of priorities at the moment!

James

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 22:37:16
Print Post

So it sounds like as people move out that ports just get left on FTTC ready for the next person then rather than being 'decommissioned'?

Quite the opposite, a cease order will be raised for the day the service ends, an engineer will attend at the cabinet and remove the fibre ties, reconnecting the line after, the next punter may have ADSL, and if not disconnected, this would stop that working.
I dont suppose that when i arranged the move a port would have been reserved for me would it? or is that just wishful thinking?

Well if you've ordered it for the new address, then a port will be reserved at some point between then and now.
Capacity issues are often resolved by the 'simple' addition of an extra card in the FTTC DSLAM cabinet, this then makes more ties available.

Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Tue 12-Nov-13 19:59:57
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I knew this wouldnt be easy... I received a phone call from BT this afternoon to say they cant process the infinity order until the phone is activated... why couldnt they have told me this when i ordered last week?!

So whatever happens, im gong to be without broadband when i move in for goodness knows how long. BT suggested i could use a BT wireless hotspot at a temporary measure. There are 5 of them in the cul-de-sac. Im wondering whether it would be possible to set something up to bridge my network to one of these hotspots as not all my devices have a wireless connection?
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Nov-13 10:47:43
Print Post

It sounds like BT Retail failed to order a simultaneous provide - or they attempted to do so, and Openreach rejected the simultaneous provide order.

Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Wed 13-Nov-13 12:50:44
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Its very frustrating. House moves aren't exactly that uncommon so you would think BT would be able to build their systems to handle phone line and FTTC activation on the same day.

By the way, my original query regarding capacity has now been resolved - I've just checked the wholesale checker and the cabinet now shows as available.
Standard User jparnell82
(learned) Fri 29-Nov-13 13:23:03
Print Post

An update in case anyone is interested...

Ive now moved house and have FTTC up and running smile

I cancelled the services at my previous house and the following day, availability came up on the cabinet. I had to then wait for my phone line to be connected at which point BT fast tracked me an engineer to install FTTC the following day.

Now I am connected up, there is no longer any availability on the cabinet again so what I assume has happened is that my new house has used the port freed up from my previous house!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 29-Nov-13 17:26:37
Print Post

well managed smile

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to