General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Sat 09-Nov-13 09:53:34
Print Post

Performance falling away

[link to this post]

I got BT Infinity in 10/2012 as one of the first installations on my FTTC cabinet.

I'm a little way from the cab so I was happy with the 32MB down, 12MB up I was getting.

Now though, for whatever reason, I'm seeing 12MB down, 9MB Up sometimes, but a lot of the time it's 6MB down, 9MB up (yes, up is faster than down a lot of the time for me now). All tested with speedtest.net

Nothing's changed at my end. I have an ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r VDSL modem, so I'm all out of stats.

Also, my latency/ping times are widely variable. I'm sure that /total loss/ of download for time periods is what pulls the ookla speed test average down.

ping to www.bbc.co.uk can be anything from 17/18ms to 80ms.

Is this normal? Should I log it? How and with whom?

Are they likely to say 'tough' just like they did with ADSL?

I know it's hard without some line stats frown

Would appreciate some advice, I think I'm paying for more than I'm getting right now
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Nov-13 10:25:06
Print Post

Re: Performance falling away

[re: HarpingOn] [link to this post]

The tough response would be fairly normal.

Do speeds and ping become more stable in the early hours of the day, or if you value your sleep test around 7am during the week. If you use our speed test you get a graph of the throughput during the test and this can help to backup what is going on.

If the line is slower because you are synced slower - then should still be a flat throughput, If graph is all over the place suggests intermittent noise or ISP issues, backhaul issues or wireless issues

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Sat 09-Nov-13 19:15:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

on chat hold now.

I accidentally tied myself in to another year with the 'free' bt sport, so I'm stuck unless they can fix it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 09-Nov-13 20:35:50
Print Post

If the issue is the actual FTTC connection, i.e. VDSL2 over the copper then changing ISP would make no difference, that part is totally in the control of Openreach.

If its time related i.e. good in the morning maybe ISP based congestion

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Nov-13 21:48:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by HarpingOn:
I accidentally tied myself in to another year with the 'free' bt sport, so I'm stuck unless they can fix it.

If you activated it on your laptop/tablet, then that didn't extend your contract. If you activated it on a Sky box then it did :/

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to