General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sat 09-Nov-13 12:08:18
Print Post

Orders suspended from cabinet

[link to this post]

Elstead cabinet #1 went live 2 October and I was kitted out 9 October; I got slightly more than predictive speed so fair enough. However the village has a very active Facebook page with the last week showing a chorus of comments about predictive speeds not being anywhere close to expectations from this cabinet and it was across a number of ISPs as well. Some have had OR out who reported that everything was just fine.

However one unnamed ISP said to the customer that there was a fault with cabinet 1 and that they had reported the matter to BT. The following day it was observed that FTTC services were no longer available to order from this cabinet with a service date of 4 December now being shown. Coincidently there are OR road works happening nearby but not thought to be related to the "issues" surrounding cabinet 1.

It is true that my own FTTC service is very unstable with widely varying speeds now being reported using the speed tester on TB. Out of this it seems to me that complaint to ISPs about low speeds are often dismissed out of hand and deemed to be acceptable, thus rejecting the complaint. Be as that may, can anyone throw any light on what the problems are relating to this cabinet?

See https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElsteadVillage/ for comments on the FTTC after fighting your way through the fog of uninteresting postings on other subjects.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 09-Nov-13 22:35:06
Print Post

Re: Orders suspended from cabinet

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

The lack of availability is most likely because the cabinet has used up the initial installed capacity (48 ports), and is currently awaiting an additional card and filters to be installed.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Sun 10-Nov-13 09:47:16
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
The lack of availability is most likely because the cabinet has used up the initial installed capacity (48 ports), and is currently awaiting an additional card and filters to be installed.

Gosh, I am amazed that so much work is carried out just to create facilities initially for 48 subscribers. My neighbour was connected a week ago and apparently from that cabinet at that time he was the 20th to be connected to the FTTC service. So yes, by now there could easily be 48 subscribers simply because ADSL speeds are so appalling here.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 10-Nov-13 11:17:03
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

The whole cabinet can supply up to 288 ports, but initially only 1 card is installed then extra line cards and filters are installed as demand dictates otherwise there is the risk of having thousands of unused cards sitting idle . No doubt the suppliers might have difficulty providing enough line cards to fully equip all 35,000+ active cabinets .
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 12:32:51
Print Post

The whole cabinet can supply up to 288 ports, but initially only 1 card is installed then extra line cards and filters are installed as demand dictates otherwise there is the risk of having thousands of unused cards sitting idle.

Is that a hard and fast rule, Ribble?

Hunslet 82 will fill really fast if a single card is the rule.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 10-Nov-13 12:34:43
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

No.
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 12:43:19
Print Post

No.

Phew, thanks.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 10-Nov-13 12:54:10
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I think you be ordering the first day/week your cabinet is live anyway smile

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Nov-13 15:24:40
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Given the time and energy spent getting it enabled alongside that it's not just about ports in the cabinet but also getting an appointment for an install I would say that first hour is more accurate than day or week.
  Print Thread

Jump to