General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User skidmarkz
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 12:41:32
Print Post

Why would BT...

[link to this post]

Install the FTTC cabinet, install the cables etc, but not enable the cabinet?

An FTTC cabinet appeard about 6 weeks ago, I've seen Openreach engineers working in it and I've seen them installing the cables in the ducts. Exchange is ready and neighbours in the same area but on a different cabinet can have FTTC.

The BT wholesale checker just lists the normal ADSL services, not even an expected availablity date for FTTC.

Any ideas how I can out more?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 13-Nov-13 12:47:15
Print Post

Re: Why would BT...

[re: skidmarkz] [link to this post]

Getting the cabinet ready requires many stages to complete. So one must assume that something isn't complete cos they won't leave it idle for no reason.
You can email openreach nga enquires address or your local BDUK scheme if it's not in the commercial rollout.
To be honest , 6 weeks isn't very long a very long time span from the cabinet being stood. Cabinets are often stood several months before they are accepting orders. Is the exchange showing as accepting orders?

Edited by Ribble (Wed 13-Nov-13 12:52:16)

Standard User skidmarkz
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 12:55:19
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Yep, the Exchange is accepting orders. There is another cabinet further down the road that is enabled and that all appeared at a similar time. There are also cabinets slightly further away that although aren't enabled yet they are showing an availabilty date of 31st Mar 14 on the checker.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 13:20:17
Print Post

When you say cables - do you mean the black (inch diameter stuff) as that is just a tube which the fibre is blown through at a later stage by one or two people using an air compressor.

As suggested time to chase council if one of their subsidised cabs or the NGA address while keeping an eye on roadworks.org

e.g. the ducting for power supply may be in, but be waiting on power company to do their bit.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User skidmarkz
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:11:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wish I'd taken more notice when I saw them working, but fairly sure they had drums of yellow cable.

I think we're in the normal commercial roll out here.

I've had a listen to the cabinet and it's silent, can't hear any fans running inside, so would guess it's not powered up.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:11:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by skidmarkz:
Install the FTTC cabinet, install the cables etc, but not enable the cabinet?

An FTTC cabinet appeard about 6 weeks ago, I've seen Openreach engineers working in it and I've seen them installing the cables in the ducts. Exchange is ready and neighbours in the same area but on a different cabinet can have FTTC.

The BT wholesale checker just lists the normal ADSL services, not even an expected availablity date for FTTC.

Any ideas how I can out more?

Go to this site: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and click postcode checker and enter your postcode because BT normally put FTTC date there first, then will move into address checker & telephone number later on.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Wed 13-Nov-13 14:16:02)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:15:32
Print Post

Might be wrong, but the yellow on a drum is the duct clearing/rodding stuff.

The fibre itself is the sort of size you can see in this picture http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/wgc...

Loads more at http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User skidmarkz
(newbie) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:32:58
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Go to this site: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com and click postcode checker and enter your postcode because BT normally put FTTC date there first, then will move into address checker & telephone number later on.

Yeah, been checking that one with postcode and phone number. No dates shown.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:46:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by skidmarkz:

Yeah, been checking that one with postcode and phone number. No dates shown.

It will come up soon as BT always put in postcode checker first then few months later they move it from postcode checker into address checker & telephone number. U're have to keep it checking every week.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Wed 13-Nov-13 14:46:31)

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Nov-13 14:46:53
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

It will come up soon as BT always put in postcode checker first then few months later they move it from postcode checker into address checker & telephone number

Total nonsense.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to