General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User hayz
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 12:45:43
Print Post

catch-22 with intenet hoping for advice

[link to this post]

Hi,

We recently moved to our new house which is rented. uopn moving we did a quick check of speeds in the area and saw some 1-3mb speeds and a couple of 20mb speeds. assuming they were fibre optic. we were already on fibre optic in our previous home. We started to organise a home move with our isp which on the first call they were all smiles and started setting us up with fibre. Now with some chasing from us it turns out our isp cannot offer us fibre. (long issue) at first they said they could but their systems werent updated. then they couldnt tell us but said "bt can so if bt can we can" then we were told we could only get fttp. this would mean gaining permission from local authorites and having them dig up our house. An issue in itself as we dont own our property, we have also just moved in and work full time so would need to take various days of to be aroud for openreach. We did some online checks to find that only bt were able to offer us fibre in the area. When we rang to enquire, again all smiles till they told us that too could only offer fttp. and "we are unlikely to offer you fttc as we are no longer doing fttc as we want everyone on fttp" even though 2 seconds before he said "its very rare we only offer you fttp" now we seem to be stuck in a stalemate of broadband speeds that have averaged below 0.5mbps (at peak time dropped to 0.28) and are unable to to have anything more as we keep being told we can only do fttp which isnt an option for us.

I did some of my own research, first I went onto samknows and found out where our exchange is, as predicted it was quite far away. I also found out that there is an exchange much closer to our address. Why is this? surely we should be there? I know cabling takes affect as well. I also found out ALOT of people are on that exchange whereas the other exchnage has less people (28k vs 11k) I dont know how much difference that makes.
I also went onto the openreach website and searched for our exchange for fibre. The exchange states it is accepting orders for fibre. I also looked at the pdf document and it states the availablility has both fttc and fttp. why is this when bt tell us they cant help us?
I also had another proper lookat speeds in our area. alot of people are on sky (the exchnage details on samknows states it has sky enabled) and that these people are over 1mbps. is it worth switching to sky, i mean I know its not a huge amount of difference but every little helps, plus sky dont slow you down (sorry to quote adverts) which makes a difference whe you are on broadbands speeds that even the 90's wouldn't be jealous of.

Sorry for long thread and a lot of questions but I seem to be at a stalemate and unsure where to go from here?
We were given a contact number for fttp by bt, we had a brief overview with our ISP and it doesnt sound like a good option for us but if someone has some differing opinions (bare in mind I am private renting so at mercy of landlord) then I would also be glad to read them. Thanks for reading and I hope this makes sense!
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 13:51:35
Print Post

Re: catch-22 with intenet hoping for advice

[re: hayz] [link to this post]

Basically the lines to a cabinet are either enabled for FTTC, or FTTP or nothing. You do not get a choice between FTTP or FTTC on the same line. So if your line could have FTTP, but you cannot get permission from the landlord to install it (why would they refuse?) then you are stuck on whatever flavour of ADSL is available along with the speeds that provides.

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 14:02:14
Print Post

Have you had a look at virginmedia in your area as a passing thought?

Also the fact you're not on the nearest exchange can be a variety of reasons, usually because when they installed a voice line around 50 years ago there was no need to have a short line. Long lines provided voice services as good as shorter ones. Hence if it was easier to get you to a further away exchange (say ducting was full to the shorter one) it happened. Broadband came much later than the lines were put in the ground.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Nov-13 14:11:02
Print Post

What does BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER say for your phone #?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 15:01:26
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Surely the problem of getting Virgin media to the house is the same as getting FTTP to the house. Some kind of trench needs to be cut.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 15:06:05
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

& what landlord wouldn't allow an internet cable to be installed, they must be pretty crazy! I'd just get it put in as the landlord cannot reasonably expect the tenants to have no internet and you can easily say 'BT said this was the only way of getting internet installed when they came out'. I doubt they'd care though.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 18-Nov-13 15:06:54)

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 18-Nov-13 15:13:50
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I agree with you, but OP suggested that his landlord would not allow it.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 15:23:24
Print Post

Mehhh I'd be naughty. Most tenants don't even ask these kinds of questions they just do it. In this case though they'd be stuck short of having a cable put in.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 15:44:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by brightd:
I agree with you, but OP suggested that his landlord would not allow it.
I don't think he has asked the landlord.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 15:48:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by brightd:
Surely the problem of getting Virgin media to the house is the same as getting FTTP to the house. Some kind of trench needs to be cut.
No.

VM normally requires a shallow trench in a garden or driveway, from a point adjacent to the property's boundary. FTTP would probably be a cable from the telephone pole if there is one, or fibre fed/blown through existing ducting if there isn't.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to