General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:20:47
Print Post

FTTP ISP?

[link to this post]

I've got FTTC and BT Checker says I can get FTTP but can't find any ISP doing this yet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:24:14
Print Post

Re: FTTP ISP?

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

Bt retail via Infinity

Plusnet via a trial.

Claranet but looking at sme pricing then

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:24:30
Print Post

I'm guessing if you already have FTTC then it is FTTPod you can get?

Not aware of being able to get full FTTP and FTTC, but possibly wrong.

Virgin Media 30Mbps

Edited by BuckleZ (Mon 18-Nov-13 17:25:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:30:15
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

If a property has native fttp then fttc not available but fttc type speeds are available at same wholesale prices

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:33:30
Print Post

Not sure what type of FTTC I have but:

http://s23.postimg.org/729ipula3/Untitled.jpg
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:44:15
Print Post

Confirms what's been said, you've got FTTC and can have FTTP if you are prepared to pay for it - the initial cost could be very high.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:51:37
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

FTTPoD! smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:56:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by ashmo:
Not sure what type of FTTC I have but:

http://s23.postimg.org/729ipula3/Untitled.jpg
As has been said, FTTPoD is probably going to be expensive.
In addition to a fixed installation fee of £500, a distance based construction charge will also apply, reflecting the costs of building a fibre network direct to a customer’s premise. In line with what we’ve said previously, we estimate that more than half of premises will incur a distance based charge of between £200 and £1000. Premises that are further away from the relevant part of the fibre network will incur a higher charge due the extra engineering work involved.

It will be up to communications providers to decide whether to pass these charges on to consumers and businesses.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 18:35:13
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Confirms what's been said, you've got FTTC and can have FTTP if you are prepared to pay for it - the initial cost could be very high.
The wholesale cost of the FTTPoD installation and connection can be seen in the Openreach price list. For an estimated 54.7/15.7 Mbit/s FTTC connection, I'd estimate the OP to be in Band B - 200 to 400m from the aggregation node (which is likely to be near the cabinet).

For Band B, the ISP will have to pay £1100 + VAT installation costs, then £456 + VAT a year for three years for the circuit (you have to take the 330/30 Mbit/s option on FTTPoD). The backhaul and other ISP costs have to be added to this.

I'm not sure any ISP offers a retail FTTPoD product, but I'd expect Band B costs in the range of £1320 install (i.e. passing on the entire installation costs) and a minimum of £60/month (and probably, more realistically, £80-100 per month) on a 36 month minimum contract period.

BT Retail may offer the cheapest monthly costs, though I believe they are not currently offering FTTPoD on consumer Infinity Option 4 pricing.

As can be seen, FTTPoD really is a business product.

Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Nov-13 22:54:34
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
For an estimated 54.7/15.7 Mbit/s FTTC connection, I'd estimate the OP to be in Band B - 200 to 400m from the aggregation node (which is likely to be near the cabinet).

Not really the case, the node may actually be a fair distance from the cabinet.

Remember the aggregation node is there to aggregate multiple cabinets hence is going to be at a point where it's near-equidistant from a few of them and, logically, on the route back to the handover node.

Here's the route between the cabinet currently being built near here and its node - as detailed to me by the guys blowing fibre between them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to