General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nettie666
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:28:30
Print Post

Talk Talk fibre optic

[link to this post]

Just had TT engineer to set up a fibre optic line. He left without setting modem up! No clear instructions on TT website, no online help available. I've got a red cable and I'm not entirely sure which port it goes from and too. Does anyone know?

The upload and download speeds are slower than advertised but online TT say those will improve after a while.

Also the yellow LAN cable doesn't go into a Mac Air - can I get an adaptor, does anyone know? The red fibre optic cable doesn't go in the Mac either. It strikes me that TT could have alerted users to cable and port compatibility on different devices.... ;(

I have a wireless signal and I can go online but I've no idea how to make the connection 'fibre optic'. As I say the engineer left an unfinished job.

Can anyone advise on the red cable and if there's an adaptor for Mac Airs?

Thanks.
Standard User ashmo
(regular) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:42:00
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk fibre optic

[re: nettie666] [link to this post]

Connect the red cable to the fibre port on the TT router and then into LAN1 of the BT modem
Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 17:50:11
Print Post

adaptor - i think you need one of these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC704ZM/A/apple-us...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Nov-13 18:07:13
Print Post

I'm confused.

To know that the upload and download speeds are slower than advertised, you must have a connection? Or did he just tell you the speeds before departing?

Are you posting using it?

How many boxes are there? A white Openreach modem and a TalkTalk router, or just one TalkTalk box?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Nov-13 18:13:18
Print Post

[re: cookie] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cookie:
adaptor - i think you need one of these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC704ZM/A/apple-us...
That adapter looks like it would work - but once the TalkTalk router is set up, the OP might as well use Wi-Fi.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Nov-13 18:30:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by nettie666:
Can anyone advise on the red cable and if there's an adaptor for Mac Airs?

If you have an Air with a thunderbolt port (strange square on the right behind the USB) then you can get this for much faster speeds:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderb...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Nov-13 18:31:26
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
That adapter looks like it would work - but once the TalkTalk router is set up, the OP might as well use Wi-Fi.

The sad thing about the USB adaptors is they're only USB 2, so quite limiting compared to the speed of the SSD in the Air. If its an older Air with Core2Duo then they're the only option.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Nov-13 19:53:05
Print Post

confused
In reply to a post by nettie666:
Also the yellow LAN cable doesn't go into a Mac Air
Aren't both the red and yellow Ethernet LAN cables? Why did he leave 2 of them?

At the very least he should have connected the OR modem to the TT router.
He left without setting modem up!
Do you mean he never even connected OR modem to phone socket? If so, he can't have finished work at cab and it would be pointless joining those cables yet.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User nettie666
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 20:29:27
Print Post

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

Hello - I only have one modem which is the Talk Talk modem. I have no other box or BT modem. We moved in 2 months ago and we just have a BT socket. Talk Talk knew this but only one box was sent.
Standard User nettie666
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 20:32:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Talk Talk sent two cables - one red and one yellow through the post. Engineer (and I use that term loosely) did not connect anything to anything at all. He never even opened the box with the talk talk box in.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to