General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bezuk
(member) Mon 18-Nov-13 19:04:45
Print Post

Openreach vs Superfast Surrey

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm on an exchange-only line in a major Surrey town centre. My postcode doesn't appear on the Superfast Surrey site.

Superfast Surrey have publicly committed to 99% superfast availability, and since more than 1% of liens are EO, they must logically have a solution. On that basis I sent them an email recently.

They got back to me this week saying that they have no intention of covering my postcode since it's in a list supposedly sourced from Openreach/VM of properties that will be covered by the commercial rollout.

Openreach NGA Enquiries email, sent a few days after, replied to me with the stock EO line response - commercial only, no solution available, approach your BDUK project (ouch)!

It goes without saying that I can't get VM since I'm in a new build flat.

Any idea how to resolve this deadlock - are these claims of 99% coverage just for show with no intention of solving actual challenges like EO lines?

I can provide the full text of both emails if needed but it's a bit much to quote here.

Thanks

Mark

Be Unlimited 35700 / 2500 on line bonding.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Nov-13 20:07:59
Print Post

Re: Openreach vs Superfast Surrey

[re: bezuk] [link to this post]

Surrey is big enough that one or two cabinets might be missed out and still hit the 99% figure.

They are doing EO lines in some parts of Surrey via BDUK project, but it will depend a lot on their priorities, so it may be Openreach will do something for you.

If you can email me Andrew@thinkbroadband.com with details of the property and I can pester away

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-13 14:08:53
Print Post

[re: bezuk] [link to this post]

It may be that VM have said they cover the postcode in which case it would be out of scope for BDUK funding (being already commercially covered). Have VM actually refused to deliver to your flat? If so, then it could be you are falling through the cracks due to the way the data is presented for BDUK coverage.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bezuk
(member) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:49:05
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Yes, there are two postcodes covering this large new build development and no part of either postcode can get any VM services.

I have an email reply from CableMyStreet dated 2009 saying that they won't provide service due to it being a new build that wasn't wired up when it was constructed - as they never are unless a deal is struck between VM and the developer.

Be Unlimited 35700 / 2500 on line bonding.
  Print Thread

Jump to