General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:04:21
Print Post

When will we get better internet?

[link to this post]

I live on a farm about 5km from our exchange. This meaning our internet is not great. We live about 1km as the crow flies from a village that have been upgraded and that's where our cabinet is. They have Fibre and i know of a friend receiving a 74mb/s download and 17mb/s upload... We are stuck with 2.5mb/s on a bad day and at maximum 3.5mb/s on a good day. The internet is really bad for youtube and gaming witch is what i mostly use it for and wondered if BT will splash it millions that the government gave them to help the more rural places? Thanks in advance.

Line attenuation is 54db and i have a Billion 7800n.

Edited by TomPoolHD (Tue 19-Nov-13 20:05:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:11:00
Print Post

Re: When will we get better internet?

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

If your telephone number shows the cabinet number, and others on the same cabinet can order FTTC the usual thing is that Openreach believe you will get well under 5 Mbps and so don't list FTTC as an option.

If when using the BT Wholesale checker http://www.thinkbroadband.com/btavailability.html no cabinet number is listed then you are on exchannge only line.

If the village was enabled as part of the Openreach commercial roll-out the next step is to find out what the County Council is doing, if they have ERDF funding too, as a business you will have higher priority for super fast broadband, but a lot depends on the target level in the County, e.g. if its 90% and the rest on 2 Mbps you may see no improvements.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:12:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ..... on Exchange MALTON is served by Cabinet 9
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2.5 -- 1 to 4 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 2.5 Up to 0.5 1 to 4 Available
ADSL Max Up to 2 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 28-Feb-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 28-Feb-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.

Does this help? Thanks for the reply

Edited by TomPoolHD (Tue 19-Nov-13 20:13:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:15:35
Print Post

Well confirms no FTTC enabled and the 1 to 4 Mbps for ADSL2+ is normal, I'd estimate independently around 2.7 to 4 Meg based on the attenuation.

If you can find numbers of other properties closer to cabinet 9 and check you will see if the cabinet is live. No idea how big or small Malton is, but it is very normal to have one cabinet that serves 2/3rd of the village enabled and another not.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:19:30
Print Post

Here you go.. Look at this served by the same cabinet 9 as me and look..... :

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 01653692618 on Exchange MALTON is served by Cabinet 9
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 69 69 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 69 69 20 20 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

For FTTC Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 28-Feb-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 28-Feb-2014.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:29:45
Print Post

Okay likely then that Openreach think you have a VERY long line to the cabinet. They do sometimes get this wrong.

If you can find out where cabinet 9 is on a map, and email me andrew@thinkbroadband.com with your details I'll take a look at likely cable routes and if it looks wrong, pester Openreach on your behalf.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:43:15
Print Post

do you have line of sight to somewhere with a high speed checker result ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:49:26
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

No not really. The village is over the bypass from our house. If the bypass was not there i would yes.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 20:49:56
Print Post

I sent a email over. Thanks
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Nov-13 21:03:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Well confirms no FTTC enabled

Sure Mr Saffron?

To me says that the cabinet is FTTC enabled but OP is too far from it. I may be wrong but I've not seen Fibre Multicast on a non-enabled cabinet before.

EDIT: Just read the rest of the thread, sorry, however I'm pretty sure that the above gives away that a cabinet is enabled even if the individual line is too far away to get a result from the checker.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 19-Nov-13 21:04:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to