General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jez9999
(member) Wed 20-Nov-13 14:13:09
Print Post

How common are PPP disconnections with VDSL2?

[link to this post]

I'd like to hear from people who are getting VDSL2 through BT's FTTC offering (whether with BT or some other ISP). How common are PPP disconnections for you? The output of pppd on my Linux box (being used as my router, directly connected to the Openreach VDSL modem) shows that I am getting somewhat regular, though intermittent disconnections.

Sometimes the connection will stay up for 2 weeks, some days it will disconnect and reconnect 4 or 5 times. I have been told by Zen customer support that generally this is considered "stable" for VDSL2 because it is an unreliable technology and there's no 100% uptime guarantee. Whilst I understand this, it does seem like a very high level of unreliability considering I had literally months on end with no downtime back when I had ADSL2+ from Be, supposedly one of the less reliable ISPs. These disconnections aren't "invisible" either; for the 30 or so seconds that the disconnection/reconnection occurs, I lose the internet connection; no ping responses, IRC and other protocols requiring a constant connection drop out, etc.

Obviously I'm supposing this is a problem between my modem and the exchange, and not with my ISP, but it still seems bad; my line sounds fine on a quiet line test so why the regular disconnections? I've tried plugging the modem into a filter connected directly to the test socket too, to eliminate the internal wiring as a problem; the disconnections still occurred. I'd appreciate it if people could reply with their experiences; uptime/performance graphs would be good too. smile

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Nov-13 18:57:20
Print Post

Re: How common are PPP disconnections with VDSL2?

[re: jez9999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jez9999:
Whilst I understand this, it does seem like a very high level of unreliability considering I had literally months on end with no downtime back when I had ADSL2+ from Be, supposedly one of the less reliable ISPs.

I don't have any stats for you,but note that BE doesn't use PPP. It sounds as if you're now on a PPP connection so you're using any of the ISPs that operate over the WBC platform. If you were with Sky FTTC for example you'd have a similar setup to BE. (but currently no static IP).

Its possible the PPP connections is dropping and restarting, to force a new IP (if you're on dynamic), or because some RAS server somewhere fell over.

In terms of reliability, the guys at AAISP track this stuff to a heavy degree.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Nov-13 19:28:52
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I don't have any stats for you,but note that BE doesn't use PPP. It sounds as if you're now on a PPP connection so you're using any of the ISPs that operate over the WBC platform.
As per Jez's sig, he's now on Zen FTTC. What I don't know is whether he's on the Zen backhaul network or BT Wholesale WBMC - "View line data" in the customer portal will show which.

My Zen WBMC based FTTC connection can manage PPP connections lasting for several months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Nov-13 19:58:24
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
My Zen WBMC based FTTC connection can manage PPP connections lasting for several months.

I missed the sig. My BT connection is hard to tell as I was so used to BE and having a TBB BQM set up that with the dynamic IP the BQM doesn't work, and I miss it.

Having just looked through my RT-N66U log, I don't seem to have had a PPP restart down since power cycling the router on the 7th Nov.

I don't have any persistent storage attached, so its just an in memory log.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 20-Nov-13 21:39:22
Print Post

Currently got a PPP outage since 3pm today wink coincidence.

area fault tho which BT seemed a bit too quick to declare fixed. As the status page says for my area fault started 2.54pm fixed about 20 mins later, wrong its still ongoing now, 8 router reboots and 1 hour 40 mins later after ringing BT tech support fault finally raised.

Normally tho with this fault aside it depends.

Earlier in the year BT seemed to be terminating my PPP session at least once a week, maybe for forced ip rotation as the sync was stable. When I disabled cwmp access those PPP terminations stopped and I have had long PPP uptimes since. Prior to today I had the PPP session since I stopped testing the hh5 which I think was about 6 weeks.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User jez9999
(member) Wed 20-Nov-13 22:44:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:
I don't have any stats for you,but note that BE doesn't use PPP. It sounds as if you're now on a PPP connection so you're using any of the ISPs that operate over the WBC platform.
As per Jez's sig, he's now on Zen FTTC. What I don't know is whether he's on the Zen backhaul network or BT Wholesale WBMC - "View line data" in the customer portal will show which.

How do you determine which it is, on that page?

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-13 00:22:10
Print Post

What I don't know is whether he's on the Zen backhaul network or BT Wholesale WBMC - "View line data" in the customer portal will show which.
Above the chart, it will say "Your current line technology is WBMC" if you're on BT Wholesale - or something else if you're on the Zen network.

Whilst you're in that screen, does it show repeated changes in the synchronisation speed of your line?

Standard User jez9999
(member) Thu 21-Nov-13 00:27:38
Print Post

What I don't know is whether he's on the Zen backhaul network or BT Wholesale WBMC - "View line data" in the customer portal will show which.
Above the chart, it will say "Your current line technology is WBMC" if you're on BT Wholesale - or something else if you're on the Zen network.

Whilst you're in that screen, does it show repeated changes in the synchronisation speed of your line?

Looks like I'm on BT Wholesale.

And no, I don't see repeated changes.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Thu 21-Nov-13 07:18:18
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

came back online during the night.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Thu 21-Nov-13 09:51:36
Print Post

For the 18 months I was with BT on Infinity2 I had maybe about 3 reconnects, usually in the early hours of the morning, so probably to do with work being carried out, and one outage which lasted about 3 hours, no problems so far on PN

Bob WRBRIX
PN Unl.Fibre - Fritz! 7390 ~ Sync 79.99/20 Mb/s Avg 74.54/18.62 Mb/s @ 320m
DialUp to CIX, BT Home Highway to CIX, ADSL to Nildram, SKY & Be*Unlimited, Fibre to BT
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to